Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i lurk occasionally on these forums. But decided to join so i can seek advice on this suit.

First off, i know there isn't much love for BR on this forum. I think that BR at regular prices are outrageous as well, but i usually buy stuff at maybe 70-80% off, and i think it's pretty nice, considering that price tag.

Well, I needed a suit, so i bought a Banana Republic Monogram Suit yesterday for $300. I really like the double breasted style which is not very common these days, the only thing is, i think it may look a little too old on me (i'm 28). I like the fitment and material as well, but to be honest, i don't know that much about suits.

I rarely ever wear suits, only to special occasions (weddings, funerals, etc). I lost a bit of weight, so none of my old suits fit me.

So, my question is, what do you guys think of the suit. I'd be open for suggestions for any suits you guys think would be better, in a similar price range as well.

Thanks in advance for your help! :icon_smile:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Warning: Blunt advice ahead! Please take no offence as I only seek to help.

It looks exactly like what it is -- a fashion suit. The button stance, placement of the top two "show" buttons, lapel shape, and height of the peaks are all utterly wrong and look like they are for the sake of being different and nothing else.

Far from too old looking, it looks too young if anything, and this is coming from someone also in his 20s. I think a more traditional double breasted would look better and command more respect at your age -- where older people are really starting to treat you as an adult. Not sure where you could get a decent double breasted at $300, unfortunately, but I personally would pass on that suit no matter what the price.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you're on a budget (and who isn't these days) you can do much better. That suit borders on the edge of being a costume. For $300 you can go to a Nordstrom Rack somewhere near you and find a more traditional 2 or 3 button single breasted suit.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Yes, but if he wants a double breasted? They are quite mature looking.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I like the style of BR's Monogram collection, it's great! As for their suits, I like the look but I'm sure the construction isn't the best quality but I don't really care.
Considering the price and compared to others in the same price range, construction is no worse. I have looked at the BR store in London, some good designs especially from the Monogram collection.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm not a fan of that particular suit, but I do like BR Monogram in general. The construction isn't of stellar quality, but the look of most of their suits is great. And they're great for what they are: everyday suits. You'll look very sharp and won't need to obsess over the care and feeding of the suit. I wouldn't advocate building an entire wardrobe out of BR suits, but if you're a student or otherwise on a tight budget, you can do far, far worse.

I own about three BR suits. Two of them are Monogram. They receive a lot of compliments and look great. I can tell they're not my highest quality suits, and that's fine. They are what they are: great, inexpensive ways to expand my suit wardrobe without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not a particularly big fan of that suit. It looks like a father's traditional DB suits and the son's Dolce and Gabanna fashion forward suit had a love child. Between the lapels, the lapel hole, show buttons and three pockets there's a lot going on.

As for BR itself, I am fan of some of their monogram suits and their slacks. For everyday wear I think they do a great job and look mighty decent! Between their stores and outlets, there's always a deal to be had.

I feel similarly about some Hugo Boss stuff. I have a three button charcoal suit I got from Nordstrom Rack for under $300 and it gets among the most compliments and the fit is great. The construction is whatever, but if you like it and it fits well who cares these days. We all have bigger issues!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warning: Blunt advice ahead! Please take no offence as I only seek to help.

It looks exactly like what it is -- a fashion suit. The button stance, placement of the top two "show" buttons, lapel shape, and height of the peaks are all utterly wrong and look like they are for the sake of being different and nothing else.

Far from too old looking, it looks too young if anything, and this is coming from someone also in his 20s. I think a more traditional double breasted would look better and command more respect at your age -- where older people are really starting to treat you as an adult. Not sure where you could get a decent double breasted at $300, unfortunately, but I personally would pass on that suit no matter what the price.
no offense taken, i want the blunt advice, that's why i came to this forum!

i would agree with yours and other comments that this one is a bit over the top, but the thing is, it's the only Monogram suit that's double breasted for this season. There is a regular BR suit that's double breasted. Would this be a more traditional double breasted suit?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
While the show buttons are an improvement, I'm still not really a fan of the cut or lapel width. There's also a little bit too much belly in the lapel and the whole thing looks comically tiny on the model.

I know members will say it's a double standard (no pun intended) since I like '60s suits, but pointed lapels should have some girth to them and really make an impact. I also prefer they have lapel holes in both on a double breasted. A vestigial detail, but more "finished" that way. (I'm thinking of putting one in the other lapel on my own DB since it's bugging me.)

This is more what I'm thinking of. Bespoke tailoring and ticket pocket not necessary of course. :p

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Anderson & Sheppard made a great deal of the ones seen in old Hollywood movies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.