Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Once in a blue moon I will buy one of their shirts on deep discount if it's something fairly standard. In January I picked up a single-cuff blue end-on-end in the DC store for $40. But that's about all I'd pay for one of their shirts. The overpricing is nuts--$150 (before tax) for a shirt with plastic buttons, and not even particularly break-resistant ones at that?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
At my local TK Maxx, they have shirts from Hackett, Emmett and sometimes Thomas Pink for £20. The only thing I could use the shirt for is applying shoe polish and £20 is too much, when a brush from Timpson costs £3. The material of the CK and Tommy Hilfiger shirts seems better, while the awful Hardy Amies shirt seem level-par with TP shirts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ouch.

I picked up several Thomas Pink shirts on ebay and a consignment shop in the $19-30 range and think they're great shirts. My only complaint is that the french blue shirt I bought at the one store turned out to be more robin's egg blue one I got it under the lights at work and that conceivably could be reminiscent of 1986.

But I have a pink shirt I got on ebay that is of absolutely superior quality- only I don't know the "model number" if you will, the label only reads "superfine cotton."

·
Registered
204 Posts
At my local TK Maxx, they have shirts from Hackett, Emmett and sometimes Thomas Pink for £20. The only thing I could use the shirt for is applying shoe polish and £20 is too much, when a brush from Timpson costs £3. The material of the CK and Tommy Hilfiger shirts seems better, while the awful Hardy Amies shirt seem level-par with TP shirts.
I have a number of Hackett shirts from TK Maxx, and they are all made from Thomas Mason fabrics. I certainly will not be shining my shoes with them...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ouch.

I picked up several Thomas Pink shirts on ebay and a consignment shop in the $19-30 range and think they're great shirts. My only complaint is that the french blue shirt I bought at the one store turned out to be more robin's egg blue one I got it under the lights at work and that conceivably could be reminiscent of 1986.
haha - funny!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is it just me or do a lot of the Thomas Pink shirt materials look like they're from 1986?
No, it's not just you. They're mass produced and very average. Instead of choosing an identity and building their portfolio towards a particular style, they just make a ton of shirts and ride the label so to speak.

There's a few sellers on eBay who sell some Thomas Pink shirts at some moderate to substantial discounts ($50 to $60) and occasionally I will pick one up.

Overall, I find them to be no better than some of the moderate offerings from the other mail order "UK" shirtmakers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Agreed, they used to be a lot better. It's a brand that really frustrates me.

Some of their patterns and cuts really work well for me but they're so inconsistent!

I have a few that have held up really well and then I have one that started to faded around the collar and stitching after one trip through the laundry.

I even sent it back to them and they told me it wasn't the shirt. Please, I've washed shirts thousands of times and that only happens with lesser brands. IMO, it speaks to lack of integrity in selecting from whom they buy their fabrics.

As mentioned their buttons for the price they charge is really absurd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.