Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the trigger on these earlier--

The suit is wool navy flannel, and the event is a wedding. I've lurked here a while and I realize the wedding question has been beaten to death but I'd apreciate a second opinion here.

Alternatives include --

Allen Edmons Shelton - burgundy/black saddle
Santoni Garson - black oxford
David Eden Athens - captoe oxford head brown nile crocodile
Allen Edmonds Bristol - black slip on plain toe loafer

I just began building my dress shoe wardrobe about 8 months ago, which is why I don't have a "go to" here like a burgundy Weston wingtip (someday). Anyway, I could probably get away with any of the above at this event, but I'm leaning towards the Sheltons or the Garsons. I'm sure most of you are cringing at the idea of those croco shoes, lol, but they are a good color to go with navy...;)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
How formal?

Seems to me that is a pertinent question here, as it is a wedding, and dress is usually pretty specifically prescribed. My guess is that you are not in the wedding party, as you do not appear to be constrained by that.

Nice shoes, by the way.

That said, unless there is a reason you want to make some kind of statement, I'd go with the black oxfords. The Burgundy/black saddle sounds interesting, but again a bit informal for the occasion, without seeing them or really knowing the level of formality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the pic is true to color, then they should go nicely. I know some folks would say you can't get too light with a navy suit (I might disagree)

oops . . . didn't see the wedding piece. If it is in the daytime and a more casual affair, you might be ok. Otherwise, try something more conservative (as others have pointed out)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'd wear the black oxfords to a wedding.
Ditto. Nothing wrong with the other combos, including the light brown/navy -- I wear tan shoes with navy suits, quite often -- but for the occasion, I think the conservative black shoes are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The color is nice but the shoes are just a bit too casual for a suit. I'd go with the Santoni.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The color is nice but the shoes are just a bit too casual for a suit. I'd go with the Santoni.
I don't see them as casual at all: wholecut lace-ups? What is more formal than that? Perfectly appropriate with a suit, if you ask me. However, I think the black oxfords are a better choice for the wedding, color-wise.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+6 Black oxfords

Why didn't you buy a pair of black oxfords instead of those brown shoes? Tux rental stores rent formal shoes for formal occasions.
Read his post: he already owns black oxfords. And since he's not going to the wedding in a tux, he doesn't need formal shoes.

The brown shoes are terrific. He didn't buy them for the wedding, he's just asking about their appropriateness for it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I don't see them as casual at all: wholecut lace-ups? What is more formal than that? Perfectly appropriate with a suit, if you ask me. However, I think the black oxfords are a better choice for the wedding, color-wise.
They're 3-eyelet bluchers. A bit too casual for a suit. Certainly at a wedding.

As an aside, I am of the opinion that one should dress to a wedding as one were dressing for a business meeting. A wedding guest should blend into the background and not compete for attention, in any way, with the bride and groom.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
They're 3-eyelet bluchers. A bit too casual for a suit.
You are way more persnickety than I am. Of course, I wear penny loafers with a suit on the days that I feel like it, so I'm already fated to spend eternity in one of Dante's circles of h***. :)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you're just asking for a vote according to personal taste, I love the shoes but they're lighter than I'd wear with a navy suit. I'd wear them with a medium gray, though. IMHO, for navy, if I didn't have a burgundy in my collection, I'd go with the black.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, the shoes sill look really nice with a navy suit. I am sure you know, but make sure to match the belt...

I don't see a problem wearing them for a wedding, but I guess it depends a little on how formal the wedding is, when the wedding takes place (time of the year, and time of the day), where the wedding will be (warm vs. colder weather), and also how close you are to the couple. If you are part of the wedding party, then black shoes are the way to go...

Just my 2 cents... Nice shoes btw!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm my ex-girlfriend's date to this wedding, which I should've mentioned in my original post. I'm not sure of the level of formality, I haven't gotten a specific answer from her yet.

I do like these shoes but it looks like I'll be going with the oxfords unless I can think of a good reason not to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought these shoes and have a thread on it: https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=88678

Overall I think they are not to light brown but I definitely would not go lighter than this color. I would not make these my first choice for a wedding but I guess it could work. Wearing them with dark suits would look nice for business occasions or any other situation. I would not rely on these to be my primary shoe but instead an adequate and acceptable alternative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.