Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
There really is a lot to be reconsidered regarding the selection of those shoes. The hue of the shoes does not coordinate well with the color of those trousers. A darker brown would be much better, but the stitching on the vamps of those shoes if going to be a deal breaker for many of us. I generally like a pair of NST's with a clean vamp, but the square patch of leather sewn on the toe of each shoe is really distracting and kills any appeal of that pair of shoes for me. However, keep in mind, this is just one opinion. :(

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you eagle2250. Darker brown seemed to me to be preferable. You've confirmed my inclination. Thanks too for your comments regarding the Norwegian Split Toe design. I didn't know that had a name.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Indeed, the design seems to be a bit of a mixed bag. The plugged vamp and a central toe seam say NST. But that aggravating rectangular shaped patch on the tip of the shoe's toes does greatly confuse the visual. :icon_scratch:

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Wearing a lighter shoe with a suit is an issue of contention for some. My opinion is that you can, and it can look good if done well, but that it always renders your ensemble a little less formal. A little rakish.

The illustration below on the left page shows a lighter brown shoe being worn with a dark blue suit. I like it, and think it comes off rather well.

For the OP's suit, I think I'd prefer something like the C&J shoe below.

· Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, everyone. Advice (without the benefit of seeing the picture of C&J shoes posted by Flanderian) noted.

I've found a darker brown shoe without the additional stitching of the original pair:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZeE6o6dkjuCU0snhVVvM2HTIbsQZxGhxDCz1rP8dwNg/edit?usp=sharing

It took visits to 8 shoe stores at the local fashion mall to find them. Only three of those stores had dark brown. They all had the lighter browns as shown in the page posted by Flanderian.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thank you, everyone. Advice (without the benefit of seeing the picture of C&J shoes posted by Flanderian) noted.

I've found a darker brown shoe without the additional stitching of the original pair:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZeE6o6dkjuCU0snhVVvM2HTIbsQZxGhxDCz1rP8dwNg/edit?usp=sharing

It took visits to 8 shoe stores at the local fashion mall to find them. Only three of those stores had dark brown. They all had the lighter browns as shown in the page posted by Flanderian.
Nice looking shoes! :beer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.