Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you be willing to offer new hires $2000 to quit?

Note: Because this article is about a fashion retailer and its customer service/corporate culture, I was going to post this in the Fashion Forum...but anticipating where that discussion would go, I decided to place it here...because that is where it would have inevitably ended up. :(

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Perhaps the offer is the last chance to get out. After that, you're a "made man" and in for life.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I wouldn't make that offer.

I work for a statewide Legal Services program, and we try to hire people for the long haul.

It costs us about $1,000 or more for each job we fill, just in advertising costs. We share the desire that Zappos seems to have to only have employees who are committed to the work. Because of the nature of our work and screening process, though, we have other ways of figuring out that people are committed to the work we do. We look for people who have demonstrated their commitment to working for poor people by having done a lot of that work already, before law school, during law school, outside of work, post-law-school jobs, writing, etc., and we put them through a pretty comprehensive set of reference checks and interviews. The result is that we hire a lot of really good, committed people, and we retain people for a long time. It works for us and for our clients.

If we were in the business of selling shoes, and we were hiring people to be trainees before we were really sure they were our kind of people, that might be another thing.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
While the practice may seem odd to many, including me, it must work. In every dealing I've had with Zappo's, the customer service has been superb! Unfortunately, the savings offered these days, is not as great as was possible when they were just getting started.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
In every dealing I've had with Zappo's, the customer service has been superb! Unfortunately, the savings offered these days, is not as great as was possible when they were just getting started.
I too have had great experiences with this company. Their customer service folks are friendly and helpful, and they have promptly honored every claim they have made. If I know what I want I would just as soon purchase it from Zappos as from somewhere else at the same price.

Cruiser

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm curious how much their customer service people make. Based upon the friends I know who work/worked in telephone customer service, I don't see them making more than $20-$25K a year. If the job was only paying 20K, I might be inclined to take that.

Then again, if I was only able to get a job that only paid 20K, I guess my skills are pretty limited and it might be difficult to get another job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Billion dollar company is referring to revenue, I am sure.

I too have had great experience with them, but as pointed out earlier, good deals are harder to come by these days. Phenomenal shipping and return policy.

Now back to the original post, I think this is a great idea to weed out those people who make it through the interview process and are offered a job, but are just looking for a paycheck while they search for another job.

I actually plan on looking into this idea for hiring our sales force at work. I'd rather pay $2000 after week 1 rather then a salary and benefits for 6 months for somebody who isn't interested in being a productive sales rep and making boat loads more money in the long run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.