Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For every occasion that isn't specified "suit and tie" you can rely on 80% of the men to wear a navy blazer nowadays. It is certainly becoming more and more the 'uniform' for men to go to - to achieve decent dress. What are you feelings towards this in general? What "level of dress" and when is it actually appropriate to done one? For these reasons mine comes out only a few times a year, 90% of which with cream trousers during summer sunsets; or sporting events.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
The 'suit' was originally a form of casual sports dress.

The 'jacket' and 'striped trousers' make up formal day-wear.

As the blazer follows the second tradition with contrasting trousers, it is pretty good to go.

· Registered
403 Posts
A blazer's better than plain slacks and a dress shirt, but I still think a suit (or even a sport coat, wool slacks and a tie, for that matter) is still better for a lot of occasions that you see guys wearing the blazer for nowadays. Still, you take what you can get in the public's dress habits these days. Also 80% seems a bit high: a lot of younger guys go with black jackets now.

One thing that drives me crazy is when people wear a blazer with a tie and call it a "suit."

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I must be one of those "80% of the men" who are always donning a navy blazer. With four in my closet, all are in rotation and see regular service. To my eye, it is a great look...seems always appropriate, never overdone!

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I know more than a few men who don't own a suit and their navy blazer is the most formal item of clothing in their closet. In other words, it's what they wear when it's time to put on a tie.

While my wardrobe is relatively small by typical standards here, I still find that most of the time I pass over my three suits and seven sport coats and opt instead for one of my four navy blazers. The only reason I have so many navy blazers is because I wear them all the time year round with everything from jeans to khakis to wool dress pants.

Cruiser

· Registered
298 Posts
I agree with the "uniform" conotation. I pass over my navy blazer and go for grey or black.At most all of the dinners or awards ceremonies I attend most men wear a navy blazer,white shirt,red tie,and tan pants.Ive occasionally seen someone be edgey and wear grey pants.I have seen this combonation
so many times now that it seems like the person didnt want to put any thought whatsoever into clothing options.
Cosmo:icon_headagainstwal

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I own 4 suits and 7 other blazers, only two are navy - one is for a suit (in my work rotation of 3 suits) and the other is a casual RL blazer with a motif on the breast pocket (only worn from spring to early autumn).

For formal occasions if I am wearing a blazer, it would normally be 100% camel or a grey blazer.

If I am wearing a suit outside of work, I may wear the navy suit; however, I would not wear the navy blazer on its own.

· Registered
1,130 Posts
I have been trying to find a reasonably priced blazer for months. I've passed over several black sport coats wanting to get a blazer first, but I gave up yesterday buying a black camel hair jacket.
Return it and continue to pass over black. Get a navy blazer.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I gave up yesterday buying a black camel hair jacket.
While I think a black camel hair jacket is superb when paired with a nice pair of jeans on Saturday night, I would not get this in lieu of a navy blazer. This is one of those items you buy after you've taken care of the more essential items, such as a navy blazer.

Cruiser

· Registered
213 Posts
While I think a black camel hair jacket is superb when paired with a nice pair of jeans on Saturday night, I would not get this in lieu of a navy blazer. This is one of those items you buy after you've taken care of the more essential items, such as a navy blazer.

Cruiser
I guess I was using the blazer search as an excuse to save money and not buy the jackets I wanted. I have found decent deals on quality suits, shirts, shoes, and ties, but when it comes to blazers stores have nothing in my size or are only 25% off retail.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where/what to look for?

· Registered
280 Posts
BB often has their University blazer on sale for $199, though I believe I heard on the board that they were doing away with that particular item. I hope they don't, it really is a nice jacket for the price and far better than anything you can find in department stores (in my opinion).

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have found decent deals on quality suits, shirts, shoes, and ties, but when it comes to blazers stores have nothing in my size or are only 25% off retail.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where/what to look for?
If the Brooks Brothers that was suggested is out of your price range, JCPenney has their American Living navy blazer on sale tomorrow for $129 and they have a broad range of sizes. They also have a $15 off coupon floating around out there which would get you the jacket for $114. I like this jacket because it has more natural shoulders than most blazers in this price range.

Cruiser

· Registered
619 Posts
My BB navy sack blazer is approaching its fifteenth birthday. I have worn this jacket hundreds and hundreds of times. I take fairly meticulous care of it, and it shows absolutely no signs of wear. I paid $350 for it at the time, which was a lot for me. In retrospect, it was the best investment in clothing I've ever made.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.