Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Who cares? Wear what's comfortable to jog in. You'll not be docked style points unless you're wearing one of those two-piece nylon numbers in neon purple.
^+1...wearing lyrca shorts/tights might get you bumped off the SS Trad too.

For running, tennis and working out, I am a big fan of the newer wicking fabrics. Though I often wear them to work out, cotton tees get too heavy if you sweat a lot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^+1...wearing lyrca shorts/tights might get you bumped off the SS Trad too.

For running, tennis and working out, I am a big fan of the newer wicking fabrics. Though I often wear them to work out, cotton tees get too heavy if you sweat a lot.
Thanks, this is as much an historical exercise as anything else... I am asking somebody to draw me a picture.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Itchy though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a runner myself, I can tell you the fewer clothes, the better. Granted, I'm here in Texas, but the fact is that if you're working hard enough, sweatsuits/jogging outfits get heavy and hot far faster than you might imagine. Stick to a simple tank and some shorter (don't go crazy, though) shorts. The fancy wicking materials do work, though I suggest you invest in a good pair of shoes first.

Classic cotton sweatsuits, btw, do very little 'cept make you hot when it's too hot to wear them and not protect you from anything when it's cold.

Oh, and there's always Juicy Couture :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
915 Posts
> ^+1...wearing lyrca shorts/tights might get you bumped off the SS Trad too.

I'd agree if you're ONLY wearing the lycra. It's useful when you're running in the cold to keep your hamstrings loose as they tend to tense in the cold. I only wore them under running shorts, though, since wearing lycra shorts alone is, IMHO, disgusting.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
What would it look like? gray sweatshirt, no words or logos on it? white athletic socks, band of color at the top? What kind of pants?
Quick-dry T-shirt, some sort of quick-dry running shorts, socks and shoes to your actual running requirements should work fine down to about 50 degrees F. Don't get the shorts too long or too loose or they'll bind between your legs. Cheap runner's trick: wear womens opaque tights under your running shorts on cold days - they're a lot more comfortable than sweat pants and break up the cold air hitting your legs just as effectively. A light inexpensive nylon windbreaker will help in the cold, also. Head, ear, and hand protection in the cold take a bit more trial and error. Everything but the shoes you can do on the cheap without affecting your performance or pleasure.

Will you look Trad outfitted this way? Who cares - you're trying to get a run in!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
> ^+1...wearing lyrca shorts/tights might get you bumped off the SS Trad too.

I'd agree if you're ONLY wearing the lycra. It's useful when you're running in the cold to keep your hamstrings loose as they tend to tense in the cold. I only wore them under running shorts, though, since wearing lycra shorts alone is, IMHO, disgusting.
You're right, that's what I meant. I do wear them under long basketball shorts for running when its cold...or and a base layer if attending a frigid football game.

At the club I work out at, there's this guy who's closer to 60 than 50 to regularly wear lycra running tights (with nothing over them) while on the stairmaster...love handles, flabby...err...caboose and all. I snicker at him. My wife wants to vomit. How could he (and countless others) possibly think they look good?

Nathan Detroit, I guess the answer to your original question would probably be plain gray crew neck t-shirt, plain gray cotton draw string Champion shorts and Chuck Taylors....with white crew socks pulled down around the ankles.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
+1 for the "Chariots of Fire" photo. That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I saw some guy in Charleston this past summer wearing a pink VV polo, a Masters visor, gray gym shorts, and the obligatory New Balances.
He's trying too hard, but I figured it bore mentioning.
Wear whatever.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Split shorts are the only way to go. Preferably with contrast piping. My favorite non-team issue short is the Nike Pinnacle, which is usually issued in various color combinations each year. This year's was dark grey with green piping. Traditionalists prefer tricot nylon (easy to find for $10/pair), but I usually go for a more modern fabric.

There are plenty of technical t-shirts that look and feel like your classic grey tees from college. If you're not wearing one of these, I'd advocate going shirtless.

The sweatshirt is not very good running apparel, as it easily gets soaked. Old school runners wear a ragged shetland from the Salvation Army, usually one size too small.

As for shoes, there's zero evidence that any running shoe technology has helped to prevent injury. I get a couple of free pairs of New Balance every year, but I don't have much need for them. I do a lot of my training in the Nike Waffle Racer, a $45 cross-country shoe that easily lasts 800 miles.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm in the white singlet in the center. I'm wearing it only because I'm required to. The un-sponsored runners are shirtless. The guy to my left is not wearing classic running gear.

Frank Shorter, gold medal in 1972 (silver in '76, behind a confirmed doper):

My friends and I, going for a morning run before watching the Olympic Trials in Eugene:

Going shirtless is more comfortable in warm weather. We don't do it because we think anyone wants to see us. Mostly we get yelled at or, worse, have things thrown at us. Shirtless is correct. It's what runners have been doing since high mileage road running came to the states. You wouldn't expect a swim racer to wear board shorts and a rash guard. Speedos are functional and correct, so nobody complains about a guy swimming laps in a revealing suit.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're right, that's what I meant. I do wear them under long basketball shorts for running when its cold...or and a base layer if attending a frigid football game.

At the club I work out at, there's this guy who's closer to 60 than 50 to regularly wear lycra running tights (with nothing over them) while on the stairmaster...love handles, flabby...err...caboose and all. I snicker at him. My wife wants to vomit. How could he (and countless others) possibly think they look good?

Nathan Detroit, I guess the answer to your original question would probably be plain gray crew neck t-shirt, plain gray cotton draw string Champion shorts and Chuck Taylors....with white crew socks pulled down around the ankles.
Thanks to all, and your last comment, TMMKC, draws it together pretty well. I have to take exception to the posts advocating running shirtless. Rien n'est plus vulgaire--except running in the buff. Greek antiquity trad...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.