Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we can have a thread on the trad car, why not a thread on the trad dog?

My vote would be for the English Bulldog as a clear number one. Others for consideration would be a Springer Spaniel, an Irish Setter, and a Basset Hound.

Other thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Definitely a tie between a Labrador Retriever and a Golden Retriever. Or do as I've done and have both at the same time. They're awesome!

"I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone."
- Edmund Burke
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
544 Posts
A black or yellow lab, of course. Although a terrier is acceptable too. ;)

If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation. - Xenophon

"You are symptomatic of the lazy, unimaginative management which is driving this country
on the rocks!" - Mr. Bridger, "The Italian Job"
 

·
Honors Member and King Fop
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
I think we had a "Trad Dog" thread before this.

I think the most Trad Dog would probably be an English Setter as you hunted the coverts for grouse and woodcock with your grandfather's (or great-grandfather's) side-by-side Parker, Fox or L.C. Smith.

For Southern Trad, make that a Pointer and the quarry bobwhite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Folks back home in the states just got this little guy, my Dad's Christmas present. His name is Duke:



I'm not sure we Quakers will put him to his original hunting use, but he will be the traddest dog yet and retrieve cigars and books when he's older if I have any say in the matter.

-----------------------------------
"It is an old trick. The playgoer who does not like dirty plays is denounced as a prude; the music-lover who resents cacophony is told he is a pedant; and in all these matters the final crushing blow administered to the man of discrimination is the ascription to him of a hidebound prejudice against things that are new because they are new." -Royal Cortissoz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Curator,

Duke is the cutest dog I've ever seen! Love his nose. What breed?

quote:Originally posted by Curator

Folks back home in the states just got this little guy, my Dad's Christmas present. His name is Duke:



I'm not sure we Quakers will put him to his original hunting use, but he will be the traddest dog yet and retrieve cigars and books when he's older if I have any say in the matter.

-----------------------------------
"It is an old trick. The playgoer who does not like dirty plays is denounced as a prude; the music-lover who resents cacophony is told he is a pedant; and in all these matters the final crushing blow administered to the man of discrimination is the ascription to him of a hidebound prejudice against things that are new because they are new." -Royal Cortissoz

www.williamlcoleman.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
If you wanna be trad, you've gotta have a large dog that slobbers a lot and gets hair everywhere. We grew up with golden retrievers and Irish setters.

These days, we have two dumb-as-a-box-of-hammers English Mastiffs -- that's 400 pounds of non-stop slobber and tails that generate enough energy to knock over my 8 year old son!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dan the Man

If we can have a thread on the trad car, why not a thread on the trad dog?

My vote would be for the English Bulldog as a clear number one. Others for consideration would be a Springer Spaniel, an Irish Setter, and a Basset Hound.

Other thoughts?
I have to second this ... as long as the English Bulldog is a sassy lass named Tory (Victoria).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BostonScott

Curator,

Duke is the cutest dog I've ever seen! Love his nose. What breed?
Thanks, he's a Golden Retriever. Apparently "the pick of the litter" so the parents get some significant sum of money if they let him keep his reproductive capabilities to create a next generation of Dukes

-----------------------------------
"It is an old trick. The playgoer who does not like dirty plays is denounced as a prude; the music-lover who resents cacophony is told he is a pedant; and in all these matters the final crushing blow administered to the man of discrimination is the ascription to him of a hidebound prejudice against things that are new because they are new." -Royal Cortissoz
 

·
Inactive User
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jlmwrite

If you wanna be trad, you've gotta have a large dog that slobbers a lot and gets hair everywhere.
Indeed, we always had cocker spaniels, the black and white kind. That way there was both light and dark hair to show up on everything.
 
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top