Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, I have come to love much of the Trad attire out there, sacks, OCBDs, Striped Ties, Tweed, Corduroy, boat shoes, and even some split toes. The one thing I can't seem to get a grip on however are the tassel loafers. Where did these originate? Why are they considered Trad? Why do so many of you like them so much? I just think they look silly, especially with a suit/blazer and tie (please don't shoot me)...whats the deal?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The tassels used to be a part of a functional lacing on shoes (boat shoes) - the laces went around the opening.

Alden (in 1948) designed a dress shoe that had the same detail - just in a non functional form. The rest is (trad) history.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have to say, I have come to love much of the Trad attire out there, sacks, OCBDs, Striped Ties, Tweed, Corduroy, boat shoes, and even some split toes. The one thing I can't seem to get a grip on however are the tassel loafers. Where did these originate? Why are they considered Trad? Why do so many of you like them so much? I just think they look silly, especially with a suit/blazer and tie (please don't shoot me)...whats the deal?
It's just a preference like anything else.

I've worn tassels of some type since my teens. That's a long time ago.
One pair that comes to mind is a pair of white tassel loafers I would wear to night clubs. Nothing in my clubbing days was considered trad in my wardrobe.
But I liked tassel loafers.

Trad isn't a word that came to my mind when purchasing shoes in my teens or even now.
I didn't even hear about that word until early last year.

Some people really want to be Trad because they associate that name with a group they want to belong to. So they buy all things trad or dress trad or
whatever trad means to them.
If I like a pair of shoes I'll buy them. If someone wants to call them trad that's fine. But I don't buy them for a specific look that's associated with a name.
I wonder if trad is even a word that is used outside of this forum.

If you don't like tassels it's no big deal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's just a preference like anything else. . .If you don't like tassels it's no big deal.
I agree.

My own feelings about tassel loafers changed fairly recently. I used to think they look silly as well, and then started getting into them a few years ago. I can't really say why. I think it's probably because I used to look at them at BB a lot - my office is within walking distance of one of the Manhattan stores, so I stop by to browse pretty frequently. I guess they just grew on me. Now, my burgundy tassels from BB are one of my favorite pairs of shoes to wear. Maybe my taste for them will decrease in years to come. Who knows.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am very picky about tassel loafers. I own two pairs, one Alden black calf and one BB by Alden no 8 shell. I like some of the Ralph Lauren iterations, especially the Darlton. It has to have an elegant shape and a low vamp, which I don't consider the current AE to have. If you are into shell, tassels made of the magical material are just beautiful when the last looks right. I get the goofy argument, but when I set eyes on a shapely tassel loafer, that is a non-issue for me. They are classic shoes. All that said, kiltie tassels are just wrong.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I love them and have several, but find Alden's Aberdeen last on this shoe a little uncomfortable (strangely, the Aberdeen on NST and blucher is much more comfortable, don't know how or why but that is the case), so I wear them only for short durations.

Also have C&J for polo, and the fit is tricky on those as they run loose in the heel for me so I wear a tongue pad.

Anyway I love these two tassel models despite the quibbles. There was a wonderfully comfortable suede tassel loafer C&J did for polo in the 90's I just loved and it fit perfectly, I should have bought 3-4 oh well.

A family photo from happier times, the C&Js have since been broken in:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I love them and have several, but find Alden's Aberdeen last on this shoe a little uncomfortable (strangely, the Aberdeen on NST and blucher is much more comfortable, don't know how or why but that is the case), so I wear them only for short durations.

Also have C&J for polo, and the fit is tricky on those as they run loose in the heel for me so I wear a tongue pad.

Anyway I love these two tassel models despite the quibbles. There was a wonderfully comfortable suede tassel loafer C&J did for polo in the 90's I just loved and it fit perfectly, I should have bought 3-4 oh well.

A family photo from happier times, the C&Js have since been broken in:

Your Polo look new. the tassels are still held together. I think I will have to get a pair of tassels, maybe a shell ravello or cigar. Or just a #8. they are a classic. Haven't worn them in years.

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^ Get a pair Tony, they're great (enabler). I think Shoemart has some cigars.
If not start with #8. If you want the "foxing stitch" on the heel you have to get the BB model.

Yes, that's an old pic of mine from the spring or summer, I've since broken in the C&Js :teacha:

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Add me to the list of people that think that non-functional ornamentation on footwear looks ridiculous. Bit loafers, tassel loafers, fringe loafers, and the worst of all the combined tassel & fringe loafer. Not to mention jodhpur boots with their pointless straps and those cowboy boots in the 70s with their fake spur straps.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Add me to the list of people that think that non-functional ornamentation on footwear looks ridiculous. Bit loafers, tassel loafers, fringe loafers, and the worst of all the combined tassel & fringe loafer. Not to mention jodhpur boots with their pointless straps and those cowboy boots in the 70s with their fake spur straps.
I have the exact same feeling - the only "ornamentation" I like are the brogues in wingtips. I am starting to warm up towards tassel loafers though, as in I don't mind seeing pics, but I cannot see myself wearing one.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
^^ Get a pair Tony, they're great (enabler). I think Shoemart has some cigars.
If not start with #8. If you want the "foxing stitch" on the heel you have to get the BB model.

Yes, that's an old pic of mine from the spring or summer, I've since broken in the C&Js :teacha:
I noticed the foxing stitch in the pics and also w/o I did not know that this was a BB only model. I do like it but I like the Cigar color.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.