Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soliciting advice for footwear that looks like a shoe, but performs like a sneaker.

I spend 30 minutes each day walking between my home, the subway, and the office. Sometimes the weather is nice, and sometimes it's not so nice.

I'd prefer not to bring two pairs of shoes with me each day (the walking shoe and the office shoe) because I already have books, laptop, umbrella, lunch, and a half a billion other small items in my bag, and a pair of shoes would be too much.

Office dress can best be described as business casual, and I don't want to deviate too far from that.

As fat as price is concerned, I'm interested in a street price of at most between $150 and $200. I have a particular affinity for penny-loafers, but I understand I'll get a lot more suggestions if I open myself up to lace-ups.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Although they get little love from many here, I've always liked Rockport shoes for business casual. I've found them to be both comfortable and durable in most cases.

Rockport is currently using Reebok's DMX footbed in some of their business casual shoes. They call it "dynamic suspension". Here is an example of one such shoe, currrently being sold by Zappos for $133.

https://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8521651769d.jpg

There are quite a few other selections, lace ups and loafers, as well. Just look for the DMX or dynamic suspension tag as not all of their business casual shoes have it.

Cruiser

·
Registered
266 Posts
You should look at Ecco. They are the dressiest shoes that have the support of good sneakers (ie. New Balance). Also, New Balance now has their own line of Ecco-like shoes called Dunham, which are less expensive than Ecco. You might want to look at those as well. Mind you, I haven't actually tried out either of these myself, but I have had them recommended highly to me as I have custom orthotics for somewhat severe overpronation. Ecco in fact has been endorsed by the American Podiatric Medical Association.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm soliciting advice for footwear that looks like a shoe, but performs like a sneaker.

I spend 30 minutes each day walking between my home, the subway, and the office. Sometimes the weather is nice, and sometimes it's not so nice.

I'd prefer not to bring two pairs of shoes with me each day (the walking shoe and the office shoe) because I already have books, laptop, umbrella, lunch, and a half a billion other small items in my bag, and a pair of shoes would be too much.

Office dress can best be described as business casual, and I don't want to deviate too far from that.

As fat as price is concerned, I'm interested in a street price of at most between $150 and $200. I have a particular affinity for penny-loafers, but I understand I'll get a lot more suggestions if I open myself up to lace-ups.
Cole Haan makes a line of shoes with Nike (which owns CH) mechanicals in the sole. I find them to be tremendously comfortable shoes - as comfortable, or more, than a Nike Air sneaker.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have some black Timberland oxfords that I bought at their outlet in the $40 price range that are great for foul weather and walking distances. They are a little chunky as dress shoes. I wouldn't count timberland out, but Ecco is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ecco's are a very comfortable shoe, however they lack the visual punch of the nicer higher end shoes. That being said, I own three pairs of what I consider their nicer models, and wear then on the slushy days, or days I will be walking through the shop.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would rather wear shoeboxes than anything posted in this thread. I walk four miles daily in my commute and never considered a 'fashion oxford'. I would spend some time investigating fit problems and perhaps manufacturing shortcomings of the shoes you are wearing before stooping to such inelegant depths.

What shoe are you wearing now that you find uncomfortable?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would rather wear shoeboxes than anything posted in this thread. I walk four miles daily in my commute and never considered a 'fashion oxford'. I would spend some time investigating fit problems and perhaps manufacturing shortcomings of the shoes you are wearing before stooping to such inelegant depths.

Have you tried SAS? They make great shoes, trust me. I have tried all 3 models above personally when I bought my penny loafer. They were all very very comfortable and looked pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Foremost, thank you to everyone who responded.

As to my current situation: I have a pair of Zegna rubber sole penny-loafers that I find to be extremely comfortable, but their purchase was a one-off deal that I can't reasonably expect to repeat. And, for the price, the rubber sole wore down at a faster rate than I had expected.

If they were in my price range, I wouldn't be having such a difficult time. I have seen rubber soled Pradas and Zengas elsewhere, but find it difficult to rationalize the price. I was hoping to find a product that's 80 percent of the quality fo 50 percent of the price.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Foremost, thank you to everyone who responded.

As to my current situation: I have a pair of Zegna rubber sole penny-loafers that I find to be extremely comfortable, but their purchase was a one-off deal that I can't reasonably expect to repeat. And, for the price, the rubber sole wore down at a faster rate than I had expected.

If they were in my price range, I wouldn't be having such a difficult time. I have seen rubber soled Pradas and Zengas elsewhere, but find it difficult to rationalize the price. I was hoping to find a product that's 80 percent of the quality fo 50 percent of the price.
With Prada and Zegna you are not going to find high quality at a low price. It is often repeated on these forums that Allen Edmonds offers a good product at a reasonable price, especially so for the seconds they offer on ebay. i own some Coltons made on the late zero last and they are fantastic for long walks and have adequate support. Most cheap shoes have gooey squishy foam meant to give people who wear trainers all day a comparable feeling of comfort when the shoe is tried on in the store. however, this foam quickly compresses and you are left with an uncomfortable and unsupportive shoe.

Also, you might want to check with a cobbler about getting the Zegnas resoled.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks Like a Pump, Feels Like a Sneaker

Dear Bard,

I apologize for being flip but when I started to read the post I was reminded of those commercials that used to be on television in the late 1980s for Easy Spirit shoes for women. Looks like a pump, feels like a sneaker. The visual was women in high heels playing basketball.

But really, I say, why try to find to find double duty shoes? I would just wear a stylish and comfortable pair of sneakers for my walk--something trail running oriented. Perhaps some with Gore Tex in them in case it is wet. I really like the Solomon XA3D line and the like. I have had several pairs myself. They are on Zappos.com. Do a "search by brand".

Then, perhaps investing in a a relatively inexpensive bag to carry everything ergonomically [i.e. your change of shoes and all the other items you list] would make sense. My favorites are from Patagonia.

Hope this actually helps.

Best,

Jonathan

·
Registered
55 Posts
The stamping is unfortunate, however; while standing they are hardly noticable with the way your slacks lay over the top of the shoe. For some, rubber soles are the only alternative. I walk through an automotive shop daily, and I would hate to see how fast I would burn through (literally) a pair of nice leather soles. I dont know how good coolant, oil, battery acid, and lubricants are for oak soles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.