Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my last "trad" frontiers. For most articles of clothing, I've landed on my favorite brands and models (e.g., BB slimfit must-iron OCBD's; Bills flat front M2 khakis; old school 346 navy blazers etc.)

But I'm clueless on wool pants. So many brands and sub-brands and models and variations. I have a pair of Club Monaco's that are...okayish, but....

So...What is the BB OCBD (if you will) of wool pants?

Thanks
JB

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
This is one of my last "trad" frontiers. For most articles of clothing, I've landed on my favorite brands and models (e.g., BB slimfit must-iron OCBD's; Bills flat front M2 khakis; old school 346 navy blazers etc.)

But I'm clueless on wool pants. So many brands and sub-brands and models and variations. I have a pair of Club Monaco's that are...okayish, but....

So...What is the BB OCBD (if you will) of wool pants?

Thanks
JB
J. Press (Berle) get this right, I think. Corbin has a great cut, also.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
J. Press (Berle) get this right, I think. Corbin has a great cut, also.
^+1 You can sometimes pick up great deals on Corbin goods at Sierra Trading Co. If you can kind them, Pennsylvania Khakis makes very good wool pants. PK is made by the plant that used to make Bills.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
^+1 You can sometimes pick up great deals on Corbin goods at Sierra Trading Co. If you can kind them, Pennsylvania Khakis makes very good wool pants. PK is made by the plant that used to make Bills.
How does one find these Pennsylvania Khakis?

Speaking of STP, I like the Made in Canada Riviera pants, there as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bought a couple pair BB gabbardine trousers when they were on sale after last Christmas, and I bought a couple of 346 ones shortly thereafter. They are workhorses of my wardrobe, but I must say I'm at a loss to distinguish the quality difference between the regular and the 346 versions.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I bought a couple pair BB gabbardine trousers when they were on sale after last Christmas, and I bought a couple of 346 ones shortly thereafter. They are workhorses of my wardrobe, but I must say I'm at a loss to distinguish the quality difference between the regular and the 346 versions.
I was going to offer the BB 1818 Madison gabs. I have some and I think they were a good buy for about $100 on sale. They seem to be very durable, hold a crease well, have seam pockets, flat fronts, and a medium high rise. I don't own any Bills, but I'd say they fit similarly to M2s from what I've read. Personally, I like a slimmer trouser, but I'd say they would easily qualify as the "BB OCBD" of wool trousers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The Berle made J.Press trousers are okay. The cloth is very light, which is good for summer but probably not great for long term durability. The one thing I don't really like about them is the wide leg opening. I prefer a classic taper.

Actually, LandsEnd gabardines (the tailored fit ones, gabs NOT "year rounders") are made of more robust cloth than the Berles and have a much better cut if you prefer a slightly slimmer profile with a classic taper. They are not "trendy slim". The rise might not work that well for you if you are tall though.

The standard BB gabs are awful in my opinion, cut way, way too full.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
cvac, thank you. I'm a little surprised at the criticism of the Press pants, given AldenPyle's great devotion to tapering legs -- and Press/Berle was his recommendation. Hmm.

I happen own one pair of Year Rounders from Land's End, and on your advice will look into the tailored fit version of their gabardines. Obviously if I don't like them, I can return them, paying only the postage.

In the past, I've had trouble with LE usually being out of my size in pants....

Thanks again

ps -- I found the LE gabs online -- only offered in 3 colors: Dark khaki, dark charcoal, and (ugh) navy....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The standard BB gabs are awful in my opinion, cut way, way too full.
CVAC,

I agree that they are too full but I wouldnt say awful. The OP can try the Regent or Milano cuts as well. Both are slimmer but have off-seam pockets. How would you compare the LE cut to the BB cut?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would have to say that 99% of my wool trousers, gabs, whipcords, flannels are all from Brooks. Their cut fits me well and I am able to find them at suitable ;) prices.

and I've been known to wear pleated trousers, more from necessity than a preference. . .

·
Registered
526 Posts
I happen own one pair of Year Rounders from Land's End, and on your advice will look into the tailored fit version of their gabardines. Obviously if I don't like them, I can return them, paying only the postage.
I've got a pair the tailored gabs. They fit great. The rise is a little high on me but I have a low rise. They might fit you great. The only problem I've had with them is they wrinkle more than most wool pants. They take a few minutes with a steam iron to get back into shape.

Personally, I think they're more like tropical weight than a year round wool. I wore them all summer and never thought they were too hot.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
When Jos. A. Bank is having a REAL sale as opposed to the everyday sale, some of their signature pants are good for the price.

I picked up some flannels for about $44 a pair. They have a decent suit waistband, and can be purchased in long rise.

I would not pay the suggested $150 or even the normal "half price" of $88, but for around $50, they are very good pants.

·
Registered
970 Posts
cvac, thank you. I'm a little surprised at the criticism of the Press pants, given AldenPyle's great devotion to tapering legs -- and Press/Berle was his recommendation. Hmm.
My guess is he has them tapered by a tailor. The ones I have are definitely not tapered at all below the knee. They probably have a 19" opening at the bottom. They are noticeably slimmer through the thigh than the standard BB trousers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've got a pair the tailored gabs. They fit great. The rise is a little high on me but I have a low rise. They might fit you great. The only problem I've had with them is they wrinkle more than most wool pants. They take a few minutes with a steam iron to get back into shape.

Personally, I think they're more like tropical weight than a year round wool. I wore them all summer and never thought they were too hot.
Are you sure you're talking about the $80 gabs and not the $60 year rounders? I'm wearing the gabs now and I generally have no problem with wrinkling any more than any other wool pants. I use a Jiffy steamer on them to take wrinkles out of the seat if needed.

These are the pants I'm talking about:

·
Registered
686 Posts
The BB gabs are my favorites.

Having picked up these slacks on sale in taupe, medium gray and dark gray, I look no further. They only come in a short-to-medium rise, but that fits me fine.

Recently I noticed that a fellow who works near me wears wool slacks in a long rise, though I doubt that he is any taller than me. They look dressier and have me thinking about seeking out a longer rise next time I go shopping for slacks.

I really like taupe gabardine. Hangs great, looks good with #8 shell and sets off most colors to advantage.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The LEs I linked are noticeably slimmer than the standard BB pants. The regent and milano are not stocked by my local BB store so I really have no idea about those.

I suppose if you're tall, pants that are cut pretty full don't look as bad. At 5'7" too baggy pants look really, really bad on me.

Re: JAB

Jos Bank signature pants and exec pants really aren't cut much different than standard BB. The Banks seem to run small in the waist and are weirdly cut around the hips though. Like anything, how they fit all depends on how you are built. The cloth is pretty light on JAB pants too.

CVAC,

I agree that they are too full but I wouldnt say awful. The OP can try the Regent or Milano cuts as well. Both are slimmer but have off-seam pockets. How would you compare the LE cut to the BB cut?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are you sure you're talking about the $80 gabs and not the $60 year rounders? I'm wearing the gabs now and I generally have no problem with wrinkling any more than any other wool pants. I use a Jiffy steamer on them to take wrinkles out of the seat if needed.

These are the pants I'm talking about:
Exact same pants. I'm riding a desk all day so that might account for some of it. Other than that, they're really very nice pants.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.