Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I've had several discussions here with members about shirt/bush jackets. (Both of which I like, but consider two different items.) And I intended to append this to such a post, but couldn't easily locate one, so forgive my repetition.

During these discussions I posted a photo of a beautiful navy linen one from Seoul bespoke tailor, B&Tailor. I know I had at least one inquiry as to where it could be sourced, and other than the one I posted I despaired of finding any.

Well, astonishingly, upon opening my just received J. Peterman catalog (Everyone get the jokes out of your system!) one such is staring me down. Navy & linen! For any unfamiliar with this outfit's goods, they can be so-so, but frankly this doesn't look half bad! Is the price good or bad? I can't say, but can suggest compared to what I'm sure B&Tailor must charge, it's a song.

I'm hardly a shill for J. Peterman (Or anyone else!) and have no interest in any transactions. But since someone asked the question, I thought I'd let ya'll know, particularly since I know they don't have a huge inventory of such items.

FWIW -

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Good luck with it. I was sorta into safari jackets a few years back and quickly found that in classic style they look odd, but if you get a dark colour, especially worn-in and faded like old jeans, they can make a good looking casual jacket. I emphasize "casual": some will wear bush jackets with dress pants and shoes and a cravat/whatever, but that's trying to hard. These are jeans or chinos, boots, and a t-shirt jackets.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with it. I was sorta into safari jackets a few years back and quickly found that in classic style they look odd, but if you get a dark colour, especially worn-in and faded like old jeans, they can make a good looking casual jacket. I emphasize "casual": some will wear bush jackets with dress pants and shoes and a cravat/whatever, but that's trying to hard. These are jeans or chinos, boots, and a t-shirt jackets.
Thanks, but even though I like it, I've got too much stuff and am going to pass. For one thing, in this area the period between cold and sweltering tends to be very brief, and that wardrobe niche is already well attended to.

And for another, I've just got too much stuff! :confused:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Not to sound melodramatic, but should we be considering an intervention to save member Flanderain from his 'runaway sense of' common sense. There is always room for one more purchase! "All hail our ever growing hoards." LOL. ;)

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I really like the jacket I had made, this one would basically have fulfilled the same purpose for me, I'd wear it!

As for the B&Tailor jacket, I did find a source for it. Limited sizes though. It also would have cost me more than my MTM jacket, so that's why I passed on it.

https://us.chadprom.com/product/b-tailor-safari-jacket/48/?cate_no=44&display_group=1
Thanks for finding that, it both surprises me, and satisfies my curiosity to learn they're sold RTW. They're nice! But are they $280 nicer? Well the buttons are a lot nicer! :D

Hmm . . . ? :icon_scratch:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to sound melodramatic, but should we be considering an intervention to save member Flanderain from his 'runaway sense of' common sense. There is always room for one more purchase! "All hail our ever growing hoards." LOL. ;)
Scoff if you will! My legendary self control :laughing:, is second only to my impecunity! :confused:

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I have a similar 100% cotton TAG jacket I wear often. But it is "blousey' and strictly field grade.

A full retro belted gabardine Norfolk jacket could make the stretch into dress casual with a similar look.

Cheers,

BSR
Definitely. I don't know how to embed instagram posts on here, but here are some links that illustrate the dress casual look quite well with a norfolk jacket and variations of a safari jacket.

http://instagr.am/p/BdIf_LEH00G/ http://instagr.am/p/BgymPt3hBLW/ http://instagr.am/p/BhXHu30hhMK/ http://instagr.am/p/BfAooj5BP-O/
I love the TAG jacket, tying the belt really creates a nice silhouette with the blousiness. Wearing a button down and khakis is what I wear with it.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,079 Posts
A belt is a nuisance in the bush and seems to me to be just a tad precious for casual wear. However, YMMV. I'd just leave it off.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,079 Posts
Yeah, if I felt an itch for one in khaki, TAG is who I'd go to. I mean, $79.95? Seriously? "Made in Africa by Africans."

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
Here's that famous TAG jacket visiting the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. I think it is one of the coolest items in my wardrobe. And it was ridiculously inexpensive if I remember correctly.
The Topkapi Palace is one of the must-sees in Instanbul, but I don't think that many tourists know about it. Also a fun 1964 movie.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts