Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, admittedly, I don't know a lot about clothes. My work wardrobe consists of Brooks Brothers, Johnston and Murphy shoes and a few shirts from Allen Edmonds.

I am in search of socks that stay up. Any good recommendations?

I don't like the pantyhose thin socks that seem to be popular... they feel too thin and my feet feel sweaty. Just normal weight socks, mid calf that would look nice with business casual. Solids, argyle, patterns.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've bought some socks from Pedemeia in Portugal. I find them to good quality, both the wool and cotton. I've only purchased their OTC socks (and they stay up very well). I have had the socks only 5 months but they aren't showing any signs of wear.

I will say they feel slightly less in quality than the Pantherella socks I own. But OTC at less than $15 I think they are great value.

https://pedemeia.pt/en/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The absolute best sock value I have found are Gold Toe socks. They come in a variety of designs and materials, they are comfortable, they look good and they are very reasonably priced! What more could one expect from a sock? Save the big bucks for buying more shoes/boots! ;)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The absolute best sock value I have found are Gold Toe socks. They come in a variety of designs and materials, they are comfortable, they look good and they are very reasonably priced! What more could one expect from a sock? Save the big bucks for buying more shoes/boots! ;)
I do not feel as though any of the suggestions are super thin socks but the original poster might.

Perhaps the Gold Toe will work well for him. I like Gold Toes for the reasons you have outlined. But I would like to know the weight difference between the Gold Toe verses some of the suggestions.

I would like a sock between the weight of O'Connells, and the Gold Toe.

I have 5-6 pairs of Gold Toes but they are just a tad thick for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've bought some socks from Pedemeia in Portugal. I find them to good quality, both the wool and cotton. I've only purchased their OTC socks (and they stay up very well). I have had the socks only 5 months but they aren't showing any signs of wear.

I will say they feel slightly less in quality than the Pantherella socks I own. But OTC at less than $15 I think they are great value.

I'll happily second this.

I'm almost done renewing my sock drawer and all the new stock has come from Pedemeia. I've owned a fairly vast number of brands over the years (including Corgi, Patherella, Falke, Bresciani, Mazarin, Gammarelli and more), but I've come to the realisation that I really don't need my socks to cost $35-60/pair. In my experience Pedemeia delivers 96% of the quality at a far lower cost, so that's where I've landed this time around.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting this. I don't recall having heard of them before, and they look like a very desireable lower cost alternative!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ahem:

Adelstensfostre said:
For a cheaper alternative you might want to check Pedemeia.pt too. I don't wear knee-high socks, but I've recently found several of their other offerings to of excellent quality. Having owned socks by Mazarin before, I would say that Pedemeia's socks are just as good.
Thanks for the recommendation! They look very nice. :thumbs-up:

Not in the market at the moment, but will investigate their U.S. shipping costs when I am.
;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have purchased a lot of socks in the past couple months. They've all been from Pantherella, Marcoliani, or Bresciani. For non-super thin socks I really like the 100% merino wool Bresciani socks that Kabbaz carries. They are noticeably softer and more comfortable than any 80/20 wool/nylon blended sock (BTW Pantherella is 75/25 these days).

For thin socks I do like the 80/20 Marcoliani socks. They're great and a little better than the equivalently thin Pantherella socks.

I'm also a fan of the 100% cotton Bresciani socks that Kabbaz carries but they are quite thin.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I bought several pair of BB socks last April at one of their Atlanta locations and they are terrible. They have developed holes and they have lost most of their elasticity. At north of $20 a pair, a total waste of money.

I have several pair of gold toe I bought years ago that are still fighting the good fight.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you are in England or travel there, the Burlington branded socks are excellent, particularly their argyles. I have learned that they do not currently ship to the states because of a (my interpretation) legal issue with the Burlington name. I have purchased both their wool and blends and both hold up well over time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a number of Sockwell compression socks made from a blend of 32% Merino Wool, 31% Bamboo Rayon, 32% Stretch Nylon, and 5% Spandex. So far they are holding up well. I run or ride a bike every day (well 5 days a week anyway), and I like the compression socks because they make my legs feel better at the end of the day. They are not, however, cheap.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.