Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below, please find the visual results of a one-day "makeover" to which I gave my sartorial advice.

The gentleman in question was a challenge to shop for, as he's taller and a bit broader than the average, but I think we did alright.

The suit, sports jacket and dress trousers were from Brooks (suit and jacket on sale, no less). The white shirt is Robert Talbott, via Rochester Big and Tall, and the blue shirt (a blue mini-dogtooth) was Internet-ordered from T. M. Lewin, as was the yellow tie (from Andrew's Ties - with some difficulty). The purple tie is Brioni, made especially for Rochester.

The shoes, both black and brown, are from J&M.

For your perusal, then . . .

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The gentleman in question is pleased with the results . . .

. . . and has asked for more advice in the future.

I am sure that the purple tie was not to everyone's tastes, but finding a decent selection of extra-long ties is not easy, and my aesthetic for such items, and Rochester Big and Tall in Boston's are at variance with one another.

I will think about advice in re: a pocket square (or at least a white handkerchief for the jacket breast pocket) in chapter 2 of my ongoing advisements to the gentleman in question.

Most importantly, he feels improved by the new wardrobe items, and it whets his appetite for more.

I think that a solid grey suit (ideally, a grey herringbone weave with flat-front trousers in a three-season fabric) might be his next acquisition. If anyone out there knows of such a suit in a 48L, please advise me.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

I am sure that the purple tie was not to everyone's tastes, but finding a decent selection of extra-long ties is not easy, and my aesthetic for such items, and Rochester Big and Tall in Boston's are at variance with one another.

I will think about advice in re: a pocket square (or at least a white handkerchief for the jacket breast pocket) in chapter 2 of my ongoing advisements to the gentleman in question.

Most importantly, he feels improved by the new wardrobe items, and it whets his appetite for more.

I think that a solid grey suit (ideally, a grey herringbone weave with flat-front trousers in a three-season fabric) might be his next acquisition. If anyone out there knows of such a suit in a 48L, please advise me.
Great thread UPR...I'd love to see some before pictures! He looks good though, kudos to you.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's an ironic observation . . .

. . . the suit is a Brooks Bros. Madison model, which is hardly my idea of "fashion-forward".

I was with the gentleman when he was fitted for the suit this summer. Perhaps the "low rise" is due to a little excess avoirdupois after the fact - I otherwise will be discreet enough not to comment further . . .

I think the suit's cut is too fashion-forward. The button-stance is too high and the trouser rise is too low.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can only comment on height, not weight . . .

. . . the gentleman is 6' 4" tall. Any speculation as to his weight would be unkind or indiscreet on my part, and I do not care to be either, in this case.

Knowing your predilection to being kind, I will take your comments both on my friend's shape and my taste both as compliments :icon_smile_big:.

I like both the ties.

If you don't mind posting, how big is this gentleman? He either does not have a weight problem or you picked the best suit possible.

·
Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
7,066 Posts
Looks good. His tie appears to be too long in that top photo.
upr, nice choices there. IMO, he's looking pretty good.

gnatty, being a bigger guy myself, we like to push the boundaries on tie length (I go bottom of my belt buckle vs. middle), as it draws the line out. Well, at least it does to my eye, when I look in the mirror :)

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
6' 4"???? He'd probably look good in a toga (as F2K squints up from his 5' 9" frame trying to imagine the heights!!! Oh for the perfect world where no one is taller than ME!!!!)

LOL

Seriously, I really like the choices. I'm also glad that he sees that your taste in clothing can enhance his image a great deal. Now that you have cleaned up New York, do you want to visit my city??

(I was curious because you mentioned big & tall, and he does not look like he has a major weight problem. Some here know that I used to weigh 378, so my definition of a weight problem might be a little more loose than those of others.)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

II think that a solid grey suit (ideally, a grey herringbone weave with flat-front trousers in a three-season fabric) might be his next acquisition. If anyone out there knows of such a suit in a 48L, please advise me.
OOPS-forgot about the flat front trousers. This suit has double reverse pleats but I think the fabric could be ordered in the Select program with flat fronts. Brooks has one in their fall collection. It's a hard finish worsted that could be worn all winter and on all but the hottest days in June, July or August. Also comes in navy.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, the flat-front trousers presents a challenge . . .

. . . having seen the gentleman in pleated trousers, I agree that flat-front looks better on him.

Trust me, I would have had my fashion acolyte take himself to Brooks immediately had their grey herringbone suit had flat-front trousers.

OOPS-forgot about the flat front trousers. This suit has double reverse pleats but I think the fabric could be ordered in the Select program with flat fronts. Brooks has one in their fall collection. It's a hard finish worsted that could be worn all winter and on all but the hottest days in June, July or August. Also comes in navy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.