Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,132 Posts
This reminds me of the time the Reagan-Bush campaign ran the WWII film footage of George Bush being rescued after his dive bomber was shot down, a combat action for which Bush received the Distinguished Flying Cross. Bush's opponent, Geraldine Ferraro, complained bitterly that as a woman she did not have the same opportunity as a man to get shot down in the Pacific; therefore, the use of the footage was sexist.

Cruiser
William F. Buckley commented at the time that he personally knew of many folks that would oblige Ms. Ferraro by not only buying her an airplane to fly but also volunteer to shoot it down in grand style. He did say, though, that there was little possibility of a commendation. (For the pilot.)

Cordially,
A. Quay

· Registered
1,132 Posts
So confronting Hitler in the 30's would have been a "military adventure."....
:devil::devil::devil:

Congratulations to Cruiser, this thread's winner of the Bringing Up the Hitler Bogeyman Award. ;) The BUHBA will be awarded to anyone who inserts that most despised Austrian into a thread not about the second world war. (Extra point for bringing it up in a thread originally concerning Vietnam but a deduction for non sequitur insertion.)

The prize committee is currently on vacation but the BUHBA itself, an upside down marzipan black eagle shoved into a block of lard and mounted on a board of solid genuine immitation oak veneer, will be sent to the winner COD.

With best wishes from the committee,
A.Q.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
It would seem that even with a grinning green face, three devils, marzipan, lard and cheap veneer staring at them, those that chose to will gladly overlook the obviously farcical in order to insert their own pedantic views.

And rightly so. The world is a much better place since it daily demonstrates an inconceivable diversity of persons that makes life always surprising and often astonishing.

Wishing all an early start to a pleasant holiday weekend,
A.Q.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Hitler. (Do I get a silver medal. I seldom win anything - - -)
Dear Sir Forsberg,

You win the Silver Cup of Brevity, farthest of cousin to the BUHBA. It is finely wrought and is said to have once been owned by Talleyrand. And in view of your selection you may asked it filled as much as you like with any beverage you choose.

May your holiday weekend be full of good cheer,
A.Q.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
I'd like to thank the committee, my family, and all of the others who have stood by me as I could not have done this alone. I accept this award with humble gratitude while at the same time never forgetting what George Santayana said in Reason in Common Sense,

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."

Cruiser
Thank you for your gracious acceptance. :icon_smile: My first professor of history had that aphorism on a framed print that took it to new levels as the quote was translated into 15 languages so no one who entered his office would fail to note it. I appreciate your quoting it correctly, too, as I'm sure you know it's been corrupted so many times especially in the service of advertising.

Cordially,
A.Q.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
I apologize if I was pedantic. I honestly was just trying to be helpful....
Kind sir, no apologies necessary on my account. One's honest reactions are always appreciated although perhaps not as well as intended. Such are the constrictions, trials and troubles of these little virtual boxes where even at the best of times what seems clear to some may be opaque to others. No great matter unless it all gets taken too seriously -- and even then it does not last.

Cordially,
A.Q.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.