Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some experience with high quality summer dress shirt fabrics such as cotton lawn and cotton batiste and have found both excellent with some limitations. (See through.) But I have an old, cheap camp shirt from L L Bean that's made of 50/50 linen and cotton. The properties of this fabric are remarkable considering its constituents.

It is cooler than all cotton, and possibly even cooler than linen, but wrinkles less that either. Of course, the fabric in this shirt is comparatively crudely spun and woven.

Today I came across a couple shirts be Parisian bespoke shirt maker Daniel Levy that are also linen and cotton, though the percentage of each is not specified. It looks as fine as the best poplin/broadcloth. The caption describes it as cotton and linen zephyr. Whether zephyr is intended as a purely descriptive term, or is in fact a mill's brand name, I do not know. But if it shares the qualities of my cheap camp shirt I would have to think it an excellent summer dress shirt fabric.

Outerwear Shirt Dress shirt Purple Sleeve

Wood Sleeve Textile Dress shirt Collar

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently, "cotton zephyr" is a specific fabric developed by Thomas Mason (in 1818), though it doesn't seem to be an actual trade name. Daniel Lévy uses it, among others.

More on it here: Thomas Mason Zephir & Linen Collection Shirt Fabrics | Senszio

Naturally, I now want one (some).

No one sells a shirt like Flanderian!

DH
How about a bridge? :ROFLMAO: Thanks.

And thanks for posting the link, beautiful looking stuff!

It's possible I remember Will Boehlke posting about this cloth in his late blog, A suitable Wardrobe.

Been out of the bespoke shirt market for ages, but doubt that even then I would have been willing to pay the freight for this. Primo cloth! (y)

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have taken a different approach to the question of summer attire, especially on a warm day. I simply wear very informal clothing -- cotton shorts, T shirts and Birkies are almost a uniform for me, along with poplin trousers and cotton or cotton-blend short-sleeve shirts if I wanted to dress a bit more formally. The occasions when I need to wear even a blazer or sports jacket are rare, and a suit, rarer still. On those occasions, a simple cotton full-sleeve shirt in poplin is sufficient, along with one of my favourite Irish poplin ties (silk and worsted wool) in summer colours. And I have cotton suits and summer-weight blazers galore!

I am also greatly helped by the generally cooler summers in Wisconsin, although I daresay that is changing dramatically with the general warming trend in our climate. Given this latter fact, maybe we should dress like the fellows in Bermuda:

View attachment 87567
Agree that summer weight poplin/broadcloth is also a fine fabric when one is going to wear a tie and jacket in the heat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts