Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found myself returning a few times to this particular article in Permanent Style, simply to read and study both text and images.

It's a rare occasion when someone uses the word "integrity" in a discussion of clothing, but that word is central to what this 50-year-old hand-me-down jacket is all about. It belonged to tailor Nicoletta Caraceni's father, and she has worn it over the years, and repaired and patched it cleverly. In a sense, this is the attitude that ought to be part and parcel of a timeless style.

It reminded me of how, as a young man, I had taken my father's bespoke clothing and had my own tailor re-cut them to fit me better. My father taught me about clothes. When I wore those clothes, I felt different, it was not like wearing new clothes at all, but of wearing something that made me closer to my father. So I understand very well the subject being discussed here. It isn't exactly filial piety or affection, it is also a sense of shared values, an appreciation of quality.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts