Men's Clothing Forums banner

The Official AAAT Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

523K views 4K replies 237 participants last post by  Howard 
#1 ·
A discussion of music emerged from the scrum of the "He Mad" thread. Let's separate it so it doesn't get lost in the Muffy.

I am listening to:

The Rolling Stones live in 1965 — the "Charlie is my Darling" box set comes with two CDs, one the movie soundtrack and one of the group live about the same time. Killer version of "Route 66," same arrangement as the live cut on "December's Children" but a much better recording. You can hear the Brian Jones parts much better throughout.

The Sadies — An old college buddy sent me three relatively recent Sadies discs a while back, including a collaboration with Robyn Hitchcock on a song called "Why Would Anybody Want to Live Here" that got my attention. Hard to pin these guys down as they move easily between styles — semi-surfy, roadhouse r and b, Byrds-y jangle (with and without Hitchcock) and just plain weird.

Mozart string quartets — I was shooting some Yale kids in a string quartet at Music Mountain in Falls Village, Conn. over the summer and marveling at the precision of the players. A string quartet is something to watch as much as hear. Anyway I indulged in a box set, can't tell you the group, and it's good driving music. Problem is the super staccato parts make me want to scratch. Not restful.

Small Faces — Found a Best of at the thrift shop and miracle of miracles, it wasn't heavily scratched and hadn't been used as a coaster. And now I know where Robert Plant got that voice from.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Awesome. Lets do it. As my thrifting has become more pronounced, my record store trips have declined. Not good. I've started to rectify that over the past few weeks. Recent pickups include...

Mighty Sparrow. I've got more reggae and not really any calypso so this was a nice find.

A bunch of Spanish music. Wife and I went to Spain this summer so I've been trying to score some vinyl to keep me remembering the trip. Picked up a stack of Andres Segovia but haven't dug into it yet. While in Bilbao, I managed--due to some translating help from the next door storekeeper--to score some great Basque punk. Thus, Kortatu

Jacques Brel

I've also been on a bit of a Neil Young kick. I've always been kind of ambivalent about him but have been going back through his 70s releases.

Not so much in the immediate past...

I'm a huge Carrie Brownstein fan going back to Sleater Kinney. Her new band Wild Flag is fantastic.

Tinariwen. Listen to music from Mali and you can hear where the blues came from. These guys are absolutely incredible. Saw them here in DC about a year ago. Before the Civil War broke out there, I had this fantasy of going to the Festival in the Desert which is held near Timbuktu every year.

#4 ·
Awesome. Lets do it. As my thrifting has become more pronounced, my record store trips have declined. Not good. I've started to rectify that over the past few weeks. Recent pickups include...

Mighty Sparrow. I've got more reggae and not really any calypso so this was a nice find.

A bunch of Spanish music. Wife and I went to Spain this summer so I've been trying to score some vinyl to keep me remembering the trip. Picked up a stack of Andres Segovia but haven't dug into it yet. While in Bilbao, I managed--due to some translating help from the next door storekeeper--to score some great Basque punk. Thus, Kortatu

Jacques Brel

I've also been on a bit of a Neil Young kick. I've always been kind of ambivalent about him but have been going back through his 70s releases.

Not so much in the immediate past...

I'm a huge Carrie Brownstein fan going back to Sleater Kinney. Her new band Wild Flag is fantastic.

Tinariwen. Listen to music from Mali and you can hear where the blues came from. These guys are absolutely incredible. Saw them here in DC about a year ago. Before the Civil War broke out there, I had this fantasy of going to the Festival in the Desert which is held near Timbuktu every year.
Jacques Brel is the finest lyricist of whom I am aware. His own performances are superb but Scott Walker's interpretations of Brel's compositions are sublime, spectacular and simply thrilling. :icon_smile:

Oh, and I'm currently listening to Marilyn Manson, Anti-Christ Superstar.

#5 · (Edited)
My Brightest Diamond after hearing her on NPR. Really good stuff. Not as harsh on the ears as Joanna Newsom, who I can only take a few times a year despite enjoying it immensely.
Try this if you haven't heard her before, but also listen to it on Spotify 320 if you have the option. Her music has incredible dynamic range for pop music and the YouTube version is pretty flat.

Also letting some Elvis Costello trickle back in after a long break.

Highly anticipating the upcoming Nick Cave & Scott Walker albums.

#6 ·
I listen mostly to the pre-cursor to punk - old-time fiddle and banjo music of guys like Tommy Jarrell, Fred Cockerham, and Oscar Jenkins. They were mostly in their 70's when they first recorded music they originally played back in the 20's.

Also listening to Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli

Reactions: ran23
#9 ·
Jacques Brel is the finest lyricist of whom I am aware. His own performances are superb but Scott Walker's interpretations of Brel's compositions are sublime, spectacular and simply thrilling. :icon_smile:

Oh, and I'm currently listening to Marilyn Manson, Anti-Christ Superstar.
I've never heard Scott Walker's interpretations of Brel - sounds interesting. Walker Brothers Nite Flights is one of my most played records.

For anyone looking for some interesting new music I would highly recommend Swans new record "The Seer". Absolutely superb.

#11 ·
I've never heard Scott Walker's interpretations of Brel - sounds interesting. Walker Brothers Nite Flights is one of my most played records.

For anyone looking for some interesting new music I would highly recommend Swans new record "The Seer". Absolutely superb.
Scott sings Jacques Brel collects all of the interpretations, one of my most played records. The sturm und drang of the track 'Amsterdam', from its languid opening bars to its frenzied venom-spitting conclusion always holds me enraptured.

Nite Flights is an extraordinary album, and especially the first four tracks which veritably sizzle.

#12 ·
Nice. A thread I can intelligently contribute to! That said, if any of you like what I post I'll eat that $#@%^'n Harris Tweed hat I own.

Listening to lately:

Troubled Coast - Awake and Empty. California kids who've ingested most of the mid-90's Level Plane screamo catalog. This album is not as good as their last one, Letters, but it's still a sound not heard much these days.

Iron Chic - A favorite for a few years now.

The Apartments - Back on tour. Peter Milton Walsh was in the Go-Betweens for two seconds back in their early days but The Apartments is his band and while not as well-known, is just as great if you ask me. This Mortal Coil covered "Mr. Somewhere" on their first album.

Camp Lo - They're touring behind the 15th anniversary of their debut album "Uptown Saturday Night" right now. One of the best albums of all time. Great show too. Catch 'em if you can.

#14 ·
I really enjoy music so I am glad to see this thread!

Paul Baribeau - Really good folk punk. Check it out, seriously.

The Eels - Always listen to the Eels!

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins - I always listen to this album it is close to perfect.

Halby - I love Camp Lo. I am pretty sure "Feelin' it" by Jay Z was meant for Camp Lo. I remeber Jay Z Talking about it. For some reason Digital Planents' Blowout Comb reminds me a little of Camp Lo and is an excellent record.

#16 ·
I really enjoy music so I am glad to see this thread!

Paul Baribeau - Really good folk punk. Check it out, seriously.

The Eels - Always listen to the Eels!

Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins - I always listen to this album it is close to perfect.

Halby - I love Camp Lo. I am pretty sure "Feelin' it" by Jay Z was meant for Camp Lo. I remeber Jay Z Talking about it. For some reason Digital Planents' Blowout Comb reminds me a little of Camp Lo and is an excellent record.
??!!?? This thread is blowing my mind apart. Putting the images of you guys to the musical preferences - I would have never thought. In any event I believe you are correct about "Feelin' It" as it was produced by Ski Beats who did all of "Uptown..." In terms of Camp Lo, they're right there with Nas in terms of coming out of the gate strong followed by increasingly diminished returns. "In Black Hollywood" was just the "Fort Apache Mixtape" under a different name. They stopped trying years ago, but maybe their new (Ski Beats produced) album will be god? Here's hoping.

I trust you are also familiar with the Plan-It-X records stuff if you like Paul Baribeau and hail from Ohio? Ever hear of the Dopamines or Delay? Speaking of Ohio, if any of you like the post-punk from that area (Devo, Pere Ubu), track down stuff by a band called BPA (By Products of America). It schools those other two groups.

Vwguy - Did you know there's a Depeche Mode themed bar in Estonia? For realsies

#19 ·
iTunes has great features for creating metadata related to one's listening habits and allowing for subsequent sorting based on them. Anyway, it says my most recent albums are:

Peter Philips & The Tallis Scholars: The Tallis Scholars Sing Josquin
Al Green : Lay It Down
Six Brown Brothers: Various
Andrew Manze & The English Consort : CPE Bach Symphonies 1-4
String: Dream of the Blue Turtles
Genesis: Platinum Collection
Booker T & the MGs : Hip Hug-Her

#21 ·
Scott sings Jacques Brel collects all of the interpretations, one of my most played records. The sturm und drang of the track 'Amsterdam', from its languid opening bars to its frenzied venom-spitting conclusion always holds me enraptured.

Nite Flights is an extraordinary album, and especially the first four tracks which veritably sizzle.
The first four tracks on nite flights are truly magnificent, powerful songs, they were also my first exposure to scott walker. His music is captivating, although difficult and disturbing at times. Songs such as "Jesse" really push the edge. Very conceptual. After listening to Walker I found myself getting into a lot more no-wave, noise, and minimal music. Stuff like James Chance, This Heat, Swans (which I recommended earlier), Zs, and Non.

#25 ·
The first four tracks on nite flights are truly magnificent, powerful songs, they were also my first exposure to scott walker. His music is captivating, although difficult and disturbing at times. Songs such as "Jesse" really push the edge. Very conceptual. After listening to Walker I found myself getting into a lot more no-wave, noise, and minimal music. Stuff like James Chance, This Heat, Swans (which I recommended earlier), Zs, and Non.
Scott's latter day music can be difficult and disturbing. His journey as an artiste is fascinating and I appreciate all of his phases (excepting of course the MOR contractual fulfilment albums for which he has now quite rightly vetoed any re-release). Can I recommend also 'Boy Child - the best of 1967 - 1970' which contains more approachable and melodic but equally beautiful songs, impregnated with both frustrated yearning and ravenous desire.