Men's Clothing Forums banner
3901 - 3920 of 3965 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,697 Posts
Today's musical offering is for those older fellows among us, brought to us by Country Joe and The Fish from their Fixin To Die album, singing "I Think I'm Fixin To Die Rag!" For some reason I've got it stuck in my head that they first introduced that song at Woodstock. Not sure though. ;)

·
36,697 Posts
This morning we listened to The Groobers "Missile Duty's Pleasin" album, as they sang Home In The Hole, A Crewmember In Jail, Mean Gene Hicks, The Plains (bar and grill), The Crew Who Never Returned...and a few other s that are slipping my mind at the moment. The group members were Minuteman Missile Crew members assigned at Malmstrom AFB who spent their time in the Hole writing lyrics and creating a rather unique musical group! ;)

·
Registered
27,484 Posts
In 1994, my then girlfriend, and now wife of over a quarter century purchased tickets for us to a concert by John Denver. I had never found his music particularly interesting, and dismissed it as pop. (Though of course I told her how much I'd enjoy it with her! :rolleyes:) The concert was held in a tent outdoors that held perhaps a couple hundred people.

I was familiar with him largely from his appearances on TV and films as a boyish, bashful, somewhat comical persona. I was shocked when instead a slightly stocky, broad shouldered man with great presence walked to the stage alone with his guitar. He began to sing and play unaccompanied. Perhaps a little tentative at first, as the audience warmed to his performance his music gained great power, opening deep wells of emotion and meaning. It was a truly great performance of memorable music to which his recordings do not do justice.

A few years later while trying out a kit aircraft he was considering buying on the Monterey Peninsula one of its two gas tanks went dry. As he wasn't familiar with the aircraft, and the control to switch to the other tank wasn't labeled, he lost all power. Rather than to attempt returning to the small field surrounded by homes, he took the plane out into the bay to attempt a water landing. He didn't make it.

·
36,697 Posts
This mornings musical interlude is brought to us by assorted artists on a 50's Party Music album. Presently playing is "Peggy Sue" sung by Buddy Holly and Johnny B Goode" sung by Chuck Berry. ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
In 1994, my then girlfriend, and now wife of over a quarter century purchased tickets for us to a concert by John Denver. I had never found his music particularly interesting, and dismissed it as pop. (Though of course I told her how much I'd enjoy it with her! :rolleyes:) The concert was held in a tent outdoors that held perhaps a couple hundred people.

I was familiar with him largely from his appearances on TV and films as a boyish, bashful, somewhat comical persona. I was shocked when instead a slightly stocky, broad shouldered man with great presence walked to the stage alone with his guitar. He began to sing and play unaccompanied. Perhaps a little tentative at first, as the audience warmed to his performance his music gained great power, opening deep wells of emotion and meaning. It was a truly great performance of memorable music to which his recordings do not do justice.

A few years later while trying out a kit aircraft he was considering buying on the Monterey Peninsula one of its two gas tanks went dry. As he wasn't familiar with the aircraft, and the control to switch to the other tank wasn't labeled, he lost all power. Rather than to attempt returning to the small field surrounded by homes, he took the plane out into the bay to attempt a water landing. He didn't make it.

I never noticed the resemblance between John Denver and Steve Irwin until now. Wow.

3901 - 3920 of 3965 Posts