I think that is an interesting question. What would you choose between
1) Dark brown;
2) Burgundy (lets add color 8 here);

Which one do you find more versatile?
And in which setup:
a)Formal setup (suits);
b)Casual (smart);

Please list your opinions.

I am personally choosing between cordovan loafers in these 2 colors, for only smart casual instances.
But it is just me, please list your personal preference and opinion.

Thank you very much!

·
(aka TKI67)
3,186 Posts
I find #8 to be the most versatile shoe color there is. The only times I wouldn’t wear it as a top choice would be with a dinner jacket or a navy suit. I’d even be ok with it with a navy suit if my black shoes were at the cobbler.

·
Registered
14,998 Posts
For suits its cordovan. For casual it could be either, considering that light to medium brown leather shoes are very fashionable today. You should buy one pair of each to cover all bases.
Cordovan is not a color, it's the material.

There's burgundy and there's color #8 and then there's brown. There are also various other colors including black (please, I don't want to hear about how black is not a color).

If you're intent on buying a loafer, in my opinion either will work. A loafer is not something I'd wear with a suit so my thoughts would straight away go to a more causal outfit.

And I agree with Peak & Pine; the question is poorly worded and I would only hope that English is not your mother tongue.

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Indeed it isn't!

There's burgundy and there's color #8 and then there's brown.
But what about oxblood? ;)

The only point of my wise-a** question being that it relates to the same issue you raise by pointing out that cordovan is a type of hide rather than a color. These color terms are used rather loosely and tend to be somewhat interchangeable.

I'd describe color #8, a particular shade deriving from Horween's elected classification of colors, as being a darker brownish-red. And if someone were to refer to oxblood, I'd think it equally descriptive of that color, or similar colors, incorporating both the colors red and brown.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

There's burgundy and there's color #8 and then there's brown. There are also various other colors including black (please, I don't want to hear about how black is not a color).

If you're intent on buying a loafer, in my opinion either will work. A loafer is not something I'd wear with a suit so my thoughts would straight away go to a more causal outfit.

And I agree with Peak & Pine; the question is poorly worded and I would only hope that English is not your mother tongue.
Sorry for my formulation, it is not my first language indeed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I was hoping someone, anyone, would ask me nonsensical, poorly-worded questions about shoes this Sunday morning and, lo, it's happened, so my answer to this hoped-for question is black, maybe. But I'm not sure. I don't know much about shoes.
My bad, will be more careful next time.

Any ideas regarding topic?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My bad, will be more careful next time.

Any ideas regarding topic?
Well your English is a lot better than my Latvian. All in all oxblood, merlot, burgundy (there are perhaps subtle differences - merlot can be a bit more purplish) is a much more useful color. It pairs better with both grey and navy which are classic colors for mens suits.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Horween color 8 is converted to Alden color 8 via (from what I hear) an acrylic finish which includes some dye. Alden makes it really dark and kinda purple. I don't really consider it a very honest finish, but I have a pair of Alden color 8 shoes and I do like them.

Color 8 is sometimes so dark that it almost looks black. If it's almost black, then what's the point?

IMHO, some shade of dark-ISH mid-brown is the most versatile. Brown shoes that are so dark that they can be mistaken for black are largely pointless IMHO. They might as well just be black if folks can't tell the difference.

Burgundy colored belts, wallets, briefcases, and bags are just not as available as brown ones. Black and brown seem to be the most common colors for these accessories. I don't wear my color 8 shoes anywhere near as often as brown ones often because my choice of belts is more limited.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
IMHO, some shade of dark-ISH mid-brown is the most versatile. Brown shoes that are so dark that they can be mistaken for black are largely pointless IMHO. They might as well just be black if folks can't tell the difference.
While I agree that mid-dark brown is most versatile, very dark brown that looks almost black looks great with dark brown suits or trousers. There are also times when one might want high contrast with his shoes and trousers, and very dark brown shoes can look quite elegant. While black has a cool look, very dark brown has a warm tone that will go better with other warm tones in a subtle way.

·
Registered
27,626 Posts
Horween color 8 is converted to Alden color 8 via (from what I hear) an acrylic finish which includes some dye. Alden makes it really dark and kinda purple. I don't really consider it a very honest finish, but I have a pair of Alden color 8 shoes and I do like them.

Color 8 is sometimes so dark that it almost looks black. If it's almost black, then what's the point?

Burgundy colored belts, wallets, briefcases, and bags are just not as available as brown ones. Black and brown seem to be the most common colors for these accessories. I don't wear my color 8 shoes anywhere near as often as brown ones often because my choice of belts is more limited.
I seriously doubt that Alden puts acrylic lacquer on Horween's lovely cordovan. From wence cometh your information? :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
How many burgundy belts do you need to be able to wear your burgundy colored shoes?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.