Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went dark yesterday at nine productions, including Hairspray, Grease, Young Frankenstein, and Boeing-Boeing. (The last one isn't a musical, if your'e not familiar with it.)

Hairspray ended its run as the nineteenth-longest running show in Broadway history, which isn't too bad. Considering that I happened to get tickets opening weekend at the last minute and thought it was going to be a colossal embarrassment.

Any thoughts? Will we see theaters go bankrupt? Broadway came back quickly after 9/11, but will people eagerly spend $115-$150 a ticket for a show in this economic climate?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Broadway went through this before in the '80s and it did come back. I agree that prices must come down but how is the question.
They've been trying "discounts" - buy-one-get-one-free, buy-one-bring-a-kid-for-free, etc., but none of the producers seem to want to officially lower their permanent ticket price.

I guess it's like plane tickets - no matter how few they sell, there will always be a few people who will pay full first class fare, and discounting those seats won't get any more people in the door.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Before Christmas, I got a promotion from Broadway.com offering me two tickets to any show for $145.ea. Not a bargain, I know, but I can use them for any show, and they do not expire. For that price, I can get orchestra seats and pretty much any show, and if we get cheaper seats, we get a refund. Well, it suckered me in, anyway:icon_smile_big:
I think my wife's leaning toward Billy Madison, just looking for cheap airfare:eek:

Mark S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.