Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to The Gentlemen's Silk Ascot and Cravat Club. Ascot Required! I most sincerely wish that you enjoy your visit to The Gentlemen's Ascot and Cravat Club, a Unique Club for those of us Gentlemen that that have a passion for, and love to wear a Silk Ascot or Cravat.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tintin

I tried but never again. Does not go over well in Chicago. Feel fortunate the experiment only set me back 22 bucks thanks to B Silvers on line sale.
Did you encounter any mocking Thurston Howell III or Ted Knight as Judge Smails in "Caddyshack" references? These references would seem to me to present a psychic danger to the ascot-wearing man.

PJC in NoVa

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lord knows I wish I had more ascots, I really get a kick of them. It's the perfect alternative to wearing a plain open shirt (no neckwear), as I feel this that looks dead. An ascot, in my opinion is the perfect way to liven up a tie-free ensemble.

Unfortunately, I only have about 3...

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I used to wear them quite a bit. I have mixed feelings. They certainly do give an open-necked shirt a nice touch of finish and elegance, but they do seem sort of "mannered" and "costumey" these days. I know that Manton, our foremost Speaker of the Law, has pronounced them, "Dead, dead, dead!"

I did buy one nice silk cravat from Beau Ties Ltd. My wife, predictably, just hates it. Mine is the "free style" variety that I Beau Ties calls a cravat. I note that it has a tendency to sag and sink under my shirt. The Velcro-ed jobs would presumably obviate this, but a Velcro-ed ascot strikes me as too akin to a pre-tied bow tie.

Bottom line: If ascots were more popular, I'd own more and wear them often. However, I am probably too often viewed as a "character," an eccentric and an extreme individualist as it is without adding fuel to the flame by routinely wearing them these days.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SilkAscot

Your "free style" silk Ascot can be secured with a safety pin under the drape of one of the layers or "paddles" of the Ascot, that will keep it securely and neatly in place!
Originally posted by JLibourel
Safety pins are for diapers:); for your ascot you should use elegant stick pins, available at the local flea market for a few dollars.

Esse Quam Videre

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tintin

No one said a thing. They didn't have to.
Painful . . . ouch.

I bought an ascot a few years ago at Syms, a nice basic model in burgundy with ecru dots.

If I make it to 65, I'm going to wear it. Until then, it stays in the bottom of the Brooks Brothers shoebox, underneath my bow ties.

PJC in NoVa

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had surgery on my neck/back this past spring. In order to hide the nasty scar, I purchased a few ascots and must confess I kinda like them. They certainly create a finished look with an open collar.

I welcome your objective criticisms of this look on a 41 year old.

Like it, hate it?

Keep that balance on your credit card - the interest you pay enables the Wilmington, DE based credit card companies to build beautiful buildings in my hometown. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've always admired guys who can pull off an ascot. It definately has a debonaire quality to it. This is where pesonal style and confidence makes all the difference. From my experience, guys who are older and more financially well off than me tend to pull it off the best. Two Hollywood people who come to mind are Al Pacino in The Godfather part 3 when he's walking in Sicily with Diane Keaton towards the end of the movie, and the French guy who played the Night Fox in Oceans 12. I'm 32 and still trying to make something of myself. But I do daydream about driving in my Boxster S convertible wearing a linen suit, ascot, with a beautiful woman by my side. Ahhh, someday....Until then, I'll live vicariously through SilkAscot.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Cuffthis, I like your ascots. I think the gray hair and jackets make all the difference. Both should be prerequisites for wearing an ascot.

The only one I'd question is the last one listed. The sweater combined with the shirt combined with the jacket combined with the ascot looks a bit excessively layered to my eye. But I thought the ascot selection was consistently impeccable.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Count me in as an ascot wearer! I always recieve compliments on them, but you do have to have the right attitude & outfit to pull it off. One thing that has always bugged me, how to you keep an ascot from riding up in the back?

Brian

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.