Men's Clothing Forums banner

The Gawd-I'm-Old Nostalgia Thread

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
This is a place for things I remember that youngsters don't even recognize.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
That's because you live where it doesn't get that hot, or didn't used to. That's an air-conditioner for your car. Very popular back in the day in the desert Southwest.

#10 ·
I'm not sure if these ever made it to the UK and just a little before my time anyway. However, this was a ritual every time new shoes were needed as a kid. The irony for me is that my biggest shoe-fitting challenge was and still is, my high arches. The one thing the machine couldn't measure for!
992B38EF-33B7-47B4-ADAD-A4F30BB70F45.jpeg

#4 ·
^^^
Mommy, me need more shooz!,
little Peak was often heard to whine, all so she'd haul me into Thom McAn's so I could hop up to the flouroscope. Gawd I loved that thing. You walked up the two steps and placed your feet into the opening at the bottom, grabbed onto the side bars and peered straight down into the rubber cowl at the bright green bones of your tiny feet. The salesman would use the peek through on one side, mommy the other. Both would get Camel ashes on the top. Outlawed by the late 60s for radiation concerns and probably the reason I grew extra toes.

#6 · (Edited)
I see where Old Sargeville hit 112° yesterday, a record (normal hi 77°). Stay in the shade up there, plenty of fluid and a mouthful of Little Debbies can't hurt. My Portland reached 86°. There are no hydrants in the tiny berg which holds me here to open and spray little kids. We do have twenty miles of Atlantic Ocean tho. Suppose that makes up for it.

#9 ·
This is a place for things I remember that youngsters don't even recognize.

View attachment 60244
I recognize it but it also reminds me of a young airman at Beale AFB in California in the late 1960's who stole a JATO unit (Jet assisted take off) and strapped it onto the back of his car and wired it up with a clothes hanger. When he pulled the coat hanger while running at about 60 down a straitaway between Beale and town, the Jato unit fired and the car did forward flips from the force coming out of the back of the car. I think he ended up in a rice paddy and while wasn't court marshalled, he did get an article 15 and a reduction in rank.

#19 ·
Everything old is new again. Here is my restored 1970 Thorens, making great music for longer than I shall be! View attachment 61353
Through the years I've had many pieces of fine stereo equipment. Thorens was unattainable to me in that era. I should have saved for it, instead of going through several Pioneer and Technics, with the total in the Thorens range. Finally settled on a Phillips (112, IIRC), very nicely engineered, with performance exceeding published specs.

#25 ·
Since most of them seem to pertain to women, I'm not surprised that you hang onto only a few. I still write cursive and checks, but not in the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.