Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

Let me just say I'm glad I have found this site and have learned so much already. I recently bought my second suit from Joseph A. Banks; great suit, I'm just not sure on the fit. One thing I've learned from here is how crucial the fit of the suit is. I'm not knowledgeable enough nor was I confident in the sales woman measuring me to say the suit fits me fine. I realize how hard it is to 'fit' someone over the internet, but I will post a picture. Is there a formalized process or reading on how to achieve the best fit possible for the MTM suit you are wearing?

Thanks for all the help.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
My opinion..

It appears the pants are very baggy in the thighs.

The trouser cuff break looks OK to me; maybe a little long.

The jacket sleeves are too long (I tend to wear them a little long; some like even more cuff showing).

I would personally prefer some waist suppression in the jacket, but some may not care.

EDIT: I think I see the top of the trouser waistband a couple of inches below the lower jacket button. Is that your natural waistline, or are you wearing them like jeans? That may be why they're so loose in the thighs.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Get braces and loose that thigh disarray. The break, which looks a bit excessive to me, will also improve, assuming you don't hike everything up too far. Lovely material, though.

The sleeves are too long. They should end just beyond the wrist bone when the arm is bent at a right angle and the forearm is parallel to the floor. About 1/4" to 1/2" shirt cuff should be showing with the arms hanging at your side, as in your picture. It may be necessary to adjust the position of the shirt cuff button to achieve that.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with what's been said, the jacket sleeves end about where the shirt cuffs should end, I would have the sleeves taken up half an inch. The pants length is perfect and its true the pants are a bit full in the thigh I would suggest that the best fix would be to take them to a dedicated tailor and not back to JAB but if you choose not to it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The sleeves have to get done at which point you will be ok, perfect would be going to a tailor and asking him about some waist suppression and fixing the pants. If you do go and he balks just tell him you are a perfectionist on a budget and want it dialed in just right.

· Registered
112 Posts
The sleeves have to get done at which point you will be ok, perfect would be going to a tailor and asking him about some waist suppression and fixing the pants. If you do go and he balks just tell him you are a perfectionist on a budget and want it dialed in just right.
+1. Don't let them give you any crap on alterations. I recently bought some pants at JAB and had to go in 3 separate times to get them right. I was not happy. They were being lazy and just did the minimum. If they had taken the time to do it right the first time, I would have been in and out and would have been very happy with the staff.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses I have a couple of follow up questions to your comments. For the record, I do wear them like jeans.

1) Am I able to wear trousers like jeans? It has to be normal with the younger generation.
2) Waist suppression I assume is narrowing the jacket around the waist?
3) What are braces?
4) If I continue to wear them like jeans, how I know how much to take out in the thigh?
5) Will a smaller break make the appearance of being taller?

· Registered
1,441 Posts
1) Am I able to wear trousers like jeans? It has to be normal with the younger generation.
No, no, no! A typical suit pant will be cut to sit at the natural waist or probably just below your belly button. If this is how these pants are cut then this is how they should be worn or it will really look stupid. If you want a younger look then buy a suit with flat front pants that have a shorter rise.

Yes, often through the side or back seams depending on how the jacket is cut.

3) What are braces?
A.K.A suspenders. They won't make you look younger :)

4) If I continue to wear them like jeans, how I know how much to take out in the thigh?
Please don't.
Perhaps, but it's a function of the entire look as well.

It looks like a nice suit but maybe a bit big in the shoulders? If you put the pants where they're supposed to be the pants length will probably be about right. Just get the sleeves shortened and you should be all set.

-spence

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for all the responses I have a couple of follow up questions to your comments. For the record, I do wear them like jeans.

3) What are braces?
The trousers should be worn around your waist, and wearing them on the hips will leave a baggy drape. You may need a lower rise if you're not overly tall.

Yes, suppression is done at the darts to give a slimmer, sleeker silhouette.

Braces, aka supspenders. JAB Signature suits have the buttons already in the waistband-I had one of those models-if not, they can be added inexpensively. Don't get clip-ons.

A tailor will know how much to alter, but there is still the extra fabric in the crotch when you wear them lower than intended.

The break; a little less that normal looks contemporary IMO with slim-cut suits/narrow ties.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
"Is there a formalized process or reading on how to achieve the best fit possible for the MTM suit you are wearing?"

No. It's more Art than Science.

Sleeve length as well as trouser break are often subject to taste. I like both mine short but a lot of clients don't. A lot of people have pointed out the sleeve length and the trouser break. I would just ask if this was what you wanted. If yes good job if not do something about it.

If you don't have confidence or faith in who measures you up right or wrong most of the time you will come out with a suit your going to find fault with. It's often psychological.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Fellas,

Let me just say I'm glad I have found this site and have learned so much already. I recently bought my second suit from Joseph A. Banks; great suit, I'm just not sure on the fit. One thing I've learned from here is how crucial the fit of the suit is. I'm not knowledgeable enough nor was I confident in the sales woman measuring me to say the suit fits me fine. I realize how hard it is to 'fit' someone over the internet, but I will post a picture. Is there a formalized process or reading on how to achieve the best fit possible for the MTM suit you are wearing?

Thanks for all the help.
I'm confused. I wasn't aware that MTM was an option at JAB.

· Registered
416 Posts
Shoulders are too big, sleeves only a tad too long. Learn how to wear pants properly or you will look like a McDonalds manager. Find a good local tailor or even seamstress and don't waste time and money having a salesmen fit you and a back room JAB seamstress then guesses at what to do. Note that JAB only leaves a sliver of fabric on the inside of the seam so some alterations are limited.

For your next suit, find a local old school place that will only let a suit out the door if it fits properly. You will pay a bit more, but you will then learn how a suit should fit. Consider this suit a learning mistake.

JAB suits are fairly priced for what they are. Just don't think you are getting something worth more than what you paid, discounts and promotions aside.

· Registered
3,539 Posts
My guide for getting fit advice over the internet is:

1. Shot of coat from behind (arguably the most important of them all)
2. Shot of coat and trousers from the side
3. Shot of coat and trousers from the front

An indication of where your natural shoulder is relative to the coat is useful. Also useful is a shot of the coat with the arms raised horizontally to give an indication of armscye depth.

Things to avoid:
Standing over-erect (to attention) - let your arms fall naturally to the side, relax
Posing eg arms around your girlfriend, sitting in a chair, arms folded etc

· Registered
11 Posts
Dang, I'm a newbie here, but some of your replies seems sorta derogatory and almost elitist to a point. I mean, yes, a well fit suit is the idea, but sheesh, is his fit really that bad?

"mcdonalds manager", "learning mistake", ouch!

Feel free to flame, I am a newbie who feels like I could have made the same post so I am trying to feel for the OP.

· Registered
416 Posts
Dang, I'm a newbie here, but some of your replies seems sorta derogatory and almost elitist to a point. I mean, yes, a well fit suit is the idea, but sheesh, is his fit really that bad?
Yes, it is that bad.
But, he asked for help, so it is time to be helpful, which means being honest.
The good news is that it is easily fixable for little money.

· Registered
11 Posts
I see.. :( I have the untrained eye. Good info in this post nonetheless.

Now I'm afraid to even post my pics.. :( I have 4 suits, all from MW, 2-Kenneth Cole, 1-J Victor, 1-Joe Abboud. I will admit I know absolute jack about suits. After reading this thread, I fear I must look like a slob in them.

Are these bad suits? What can I do to ensure they look as good as they are going to get? Please help this newb.

· Registered
416 Posts
Go to a few high end Men's stores and try on a lot of suits. Listen to the salesman explain the fit. Get a mental picture for what you like. Then have your existing stuff immaculately tailored.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Shops At La Cantera..

You've got a lot to work with, there. Brooks Brothers retail, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, Polo Ralph Lauren. Even the Dillard's is fairly nice. Prime Outlets San Marcos has a Saks Off-5th, Neiman-Marcus Last Call, Brooks Brothers "346", and Hickey-Freeman outlet. Lots of smaller, designer outlets that generally don't get the good stuff like the bigger markets. Austin (Round Rock, couple of good stores) has an outlet mall @ IH-35 & FM 1431. The PRL outlet has better stuff than San Marcos; seen a bit of RL Purple Label & Black Label. There's another BB "346" store there; smaller than San Marcos but has a slight edge on nicer stuff.

Just read a LOT here; when you think of something, try a search. Ask questions-if in doubt, ask questions first. :icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.