Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Or the Inane Dreaded Christmas Tie Thread for those who have decided they are above all this)

I'm going to perform Christmas Carols at three different Nursing homes today, so I'm wearing a somewhat obvious Christmas tie today. I have some that are a little less obvious (I for easily seen reasons, refuse to use the term "subtle" for a Christmas tie LOL)
that I can wear with a sport coat.

Obviously, I would not do this for a wedding, funeral, interview, important business meeting) but I consider some of the less gaudy Christmas ties to be fun. As I can't tie a bow, I have no bow ties with lights on them and they would be too much for me.

I enjoy wearing them and will do so a few times in December. (Tomorrow, as I have a role in our Church service, I will avoid the novelty tie.)

Do any of the rest of us wear these? Will you admit it in public??

To see the responses, stay tuned - - - -

(To reach me, please contact me at the Charitable Home for Those Who Wear Novelty Ties between 8 AM and 11AM, but try to avoid the Matron's coffee break.)

9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would actually complete the whole "bagpipe experience" for your audience.

This Christmas Tie is a costume I would use only when singing and playing Christmas songs.

9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Christmas ties are the only novelty tie I wear and I'll admit to disliking 80% of them. They are seldom made of nice fabric, etc.

For singing Christmas Carols to folks in a Nursing Home, though, to me, it's just another stage costume.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
I have two kinds of Christmas ties--seasonal ties with holiday motifs that are fun to wear in a doctor's office or party setting for a week before the 25th. I think those are fine and far preferable to the ties I get at Christmas from patients. I always get several and can't remember the last time I wore one. My patients with taste never give me ties;those who give me ties seem never to have taste.
But it's the thought that counts.

· Registered
67 Posts
I have 5 what I would deem Holiday appropriate ties. But all are either very subtle or abstract: green pine trees without adornment on a blue tie; reindeer than really you need to know they are such, snowmen with scarves in seasonal colors, and a couple of non-representational green/red/black ties. Would pretty much wear the later two most anywhere.

· Registered
298 Posts
Before aaac

I must admit that before I joined this forum I always wore christmas ties
and some (but not many) novelty ties.I still like them but, I will not wear them anymore because the vast majority of the members have shown a dislike of such ties.I have given them all to my brother
Cheers and merry christmas, Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

· Registered
267 Posts
I worked with an attorney who wore a tie with a slight nod to whatever holiday it might be somewhere in the world. The ties were always tasteful. For instance on Bastille Day he wore a tie with small fleurs de lis. He would always joke, "It's bad enough that I had to come in here on a holiday, now you want me to do what?"

It always made for some interesting conversation as he explained some obscure holiday and it's peculiar traditions.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It is my sad duty to inform all of you that my (formerly ;)) sweet wife disposed of my (she says gaudy) Christmas tie, at some point after the immediate past Christmas season. Some of you may remember it had it's own battery powered illumination system and ya know, you just can't find those any more! Alas, she says I had proven myself too irresponsible to be trusted with the tie for any future Christmas celebrations or holiday gatherings. As we browsed through Brooks Brothers this very afternoon, I looked through their holiday tie offerings and though they had ties with Christmas trees on them, none featured lights that would really light up. Christmas will be somewhat less bright in our home this Christmas, as I am forced to sit and wonder...who might be wearing my Christmas tie this year(?)!! :(

· Registered
1,813 Posts
It's darn difficult to find a themed tie that isn't eye-bleedingly awful.

You theme-tie wearing folks always have the upper hand of not having to see the thing all the time. Be kind to us, please. Choose wisely if you HAVE to wear one.

I never will contemplate a themed Christmas tie, but I have three themed ties and I like them all for different reasons:

REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT, which is a nice, silly tie to wear on flights and always enthuses the crew.

PHEASANTS and STRAW, which is so subdued you would have to concentrate on it to notice the theme.

OLD CARTOGRAPHY, which is so arranged that it is more of an interesting pattern rather than something gaudy and obvious.

I'll hopefully never buy another themed tie again unless it is rep stripes for some organization.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.