Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It would certainly pair nicely with those atrocious ripped up, ridiculously over priced jeans the young folks are so often wearing these days. This strikes me as concrete proof that addictions to social media platforms, video games and iphones are rendering us stupid, as time passes!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It would certainly pair nicely with those atrocious ripped up, ridiculously over priced jeans the young folks are so often wearing these days. This strikes me as concrete proof that addictions to social media platforms, video games and iphones are rendering us stupid, as time passes!
Ridiculous you say? Yesterday morning was close to 0 Farenheit in my northern neck of the woods. While waiting for the commuter train, a 40 something woman showed up with jeans ripped opened at both knees. I couldn't believe that a grown up would wear such clothes to work and in this cold weather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see where you're coming from. I'm a member of the 'young folk' and I've never wanted to buy ripped jeans. I can, however, see the attraction. They are a mark of a different culture - one that uses clothes to express rebellion in exactly the same way that members of this forum depart (admirably) from current trends and follow their own styles. That your style is more conservative and theirs is not matters not; both cultures use clothes to express their identity.

So whilst you might buy smooth, undamaged jeans in a dark indigo (if you were to buy jeans at all), you would do so because fit and a clean, elegant finish are what clothes mean to you (and, indeed, to me). Someone who buys this sweater will be under no illusion that they are conventionally well-dressed; ironically, perhaps, they will be buying it to provoke the sort of reaction you just gave. The only difference between them and you, in fact, is that only one called the other stupid.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Now who in the hell would buy that sweater looking all chewed and frayed?
Insecure people. Severely insecure people. People who, lacking an inner compass and sense of stability, derive all of their feelings of self-worth from the approval they receive--or hope to receive--from the outside world. Or at least that part of the outside world that matters to them--the part that is populated by the trendy, with-it people.

DearJurisprudence explained the attraction of pre-distressed clothes by averring that those who buy them are doing so to "express rebellion..." and to "provoke" disapproval from conservative dressers. That explanation seems like it also may have merit. I cannot dismiss it. Still, there's a qualitative difference between (a) dressing to please oneself and (b) dressing to rebel and/or to provoke a negative reaction. Action (a) is a sign of security and maturity; action (b) is the essence of immaturity. So even if I were to fully accept DearJurisprudence's explanation, that would mean that, in the paragraph above, I would replace the word "insecure" with "immature."

We members of this forum know what we like and dress to satisfy ourselves (though we won't necessarily ignore constructive criticism, and some of us employ selfies to educate and inspire people who are interested in dressing well). If others approve of what we're wearing, that's simply a bonus.

In contrast, I'll bet that people who would buy the ripped-up sweater are more interested in getting a rise out of other people. Whether that's insecurity or immaturity is up for debate, but it doesn't put the sweater buyers in too flattering a light either way.

·
Registered
Tie
19,960 Posts
Ridiculous you say? Yesterday morning was close to 0 Farenheit in my northern neck of the woods. While waiting for the commuter train, a 40 something woman showed up with jeans ripped opened at both knees. I couldn't believe that a grown up would wear such clothes to work and in this cold weather.
That's probably her way of wanting to dress a certain style, that's her prerogative.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
I see where you're coming from. I'm a member of the 'young folk' and I've never wanted to buy ripped jeans. I can, however, see the attraction. They are a mark of a different culture - one that uses clothes to express rebellion in exactly the same way that members of this forum depart (admirably) from current trends and follow their own styles. That your style is more conservative and theirs is not matters not; both cultures use clothes to express their identity.

So whilst you might buy smooth, undamaged jeans in a dark indigo (if you were to buy jeans at all), you would do so because fit and a clean, elegant finish are what clothes mean to you (and, indeed, to me). Someone who buys this sweater will be under no illusion that they are conventionally well-dressed; ironically, perhaps, they will be buying it to provoke the sort of reaction you just gave. The only difference between them and you, in fact, is that only one called the other stupid.
Speculation. Inadmissible.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

From my standpoint, I would be concerned that an item that is indeed damaged (not simply appears damaged) would not be as durable and perhaps prone to additional damage more-so than a perfect item. That's where I would question whether that purchase is stupid. I would also question the intelligence of baring skin on a cold day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my standpoint, I would be concerned that an item that is indeed damaged (not simply appears damaged) would not be as durable and perhaps prone to additional damage moreso
You're probably right, although I'd venture to suggest your point is moot considering that a person who buys pre-damaged clothing probably doesn't mind too much!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.