Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They see blood in the water: House, Senate, Whitehouse, all over flowing with Democrats, "Super Majority" Democrats, Unstopable Democrats, and not just Democrats, liberal "soak the rich" Democrats. Forget Bill Clinton and welfare is dead Democratic Leadership Council whimps, but real hard left Liberals with a big capital L. Democrats taking back the country. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are growing fangs, its scary. Any self respecting working man has got to be more than a little afraid. Damn anybody who runs a small business you don't deserve to make over 250K we'll take that from you. Bolshevik Democrats are on the march. Fiction? Over blown? Let me tell you I know a few who are backing that idiot Al Franken in MN, and they hate business, they hate success. Business is the enemy, and wealth accumulation for anyone except the Kennedys is a political sin. This could be bad. Very bad.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Growing up I often visited our famed L.A. Griffith Park observatory. You walked in and right there in the entryway was a giant pendulum swinging slowly to the earth's internal heartbeat.
There was a line of chalksticks that would periodically get knocked over by this giant.
I used to drive teachers, parents and friends crazy stopping to watch until one was toppled.
For all the marvels inside, this was a tangible sign of the cosmos working.

And then one day I walked in on a rather slow day.
I stopped as my own tradition called for and looked at the chalk. I looked at my chronograph ( admittedly a commie made russian unit) and noticed something amiss. Something, probably unseen like the lunar observations of the first versions of STONEHENGE modern astronomers missed.
An extra piece of chalk was knocked over for the noon hour.

I began walking around the pendulum intent to decypher this anomaly and join the ranks of Da Vinci, Copernicus and Einstien.
And there, on the Pendulum's tip lay, or rather RODE my answer. A tiny brown housemouse, having the time of his unobserved, unrecorded, unvalued life; literally twisting the cosmos' tail.I could just hear his barely audible squeek of delight before hopping off as the uniformed guard walked by.

Come Wednsday morning, I'll neatly place my DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR NADER bumpersticker on the car and find my own pendulum.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Once when I was a kid, we had mice in the house. I put out a glue trap with some cheese on it, and caught one. I tossed it with the mouse, still alive, in the garbage. Now, being country folk in the days before garbage pickup in the county, we burned our trash. And the mouse was still alive there on the trap. So I took it out of the garbage and killed it with a stick.

I think that's more like what happens to people who vote for third parties. Enjoy one-party rule!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
They see blood in the water: House, Senate, Whitehouse, all over flowing with Democrats, "Super Majority" Democrats, Unstopable Democrats, and not just Democrats, liberal "soak the rich" Democrats. Forget Bill Clinton and welfare is dead Democratic Leadership Council whimps, but real hard left Liberals with a big capital L. This could be bad. Very bad.
Like most conservatives, you're delusional. There is no real Left movement in the United States. Even The Economist, hardly a left-wing publication, endorsed Obama. Of course, even when the facts show that you're wrong, I doubt that you will see it.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Folks, neither the Democrats, nor the Republicans are the Bogeymen here...and yet both are! The real problem is that almost every elected official, elected to serve multiple terms, gets sucked in by the trappings of power, as (at some point) their focus shifts from making good efforts at attending to the people's business to 'what must I do to get reelected' and attend to satisfying my own interests. If you really want your votes to count and make a positive difference, whenever the chance presents itself, don't vote for the incumbent but rather, place a vote for returning government to the people. Politicians serving more than two terms are rarely still working for the people! I doubt our founding fathers ever envisioned the creation of a class of career politicians!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Folks, neither the Democrats, nor the Republicans are the Bogeymen here...and yet both are! The real problem is that almost every elected official, elected to serve multiple terms, gets sucked in by the trappings of power, as (at some point) their focus shifts from making good efforts at attending to the people's business to 'what must I do to get reelected' and attend to satisfying my own interests. If you really want your votes to count and make a positive difference, whenever the chance presents itself, don't vote for the incumbent but rather, place a vote for returning government to the people. Politicians serving more than two terms are rarely still working for the people! I doubt our founding fathers ever envisioned the creation of a class of career politicians!
Thanks for the comment in bold, it is one of the core problems with the government today.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
In Michigan, we are experiencing one of the pitfalls of term-limited politicians. Because they do not understand the details of what they are legislating and because they have no experienced leadership, they passed an absolutely horrible Michigan Business Tax that is driving business away after both sides (left and right) played these absolutely nasty brinkmanship games that caused them to not even start negotiating until the State Government had to shut down.

I'm a centrist, but term limits are no panacea. Voters who really care about the process enough to stay informed and vote out self-serving people are the answer, although I realize this probably only happens in Democracy Utopia.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
So all the ideologues are on the right?? HMMM

I'll admit the right has its share.

Of course, bankrupting coal mining companies to achieve environmental dreams is not extreme if that's the kind of thing you believe in.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Interesting how we fret over the career politicians, yet not over career lobbyists who offer an open door to retiring politicians to join those lobbying corporations.
Former California George duke Dukmajian parlayed his term in office into a major lobbyist for japanese businesss, becoming one of the richest men in the state.
When you vote, you're voting as proxy for Mitsubishi, Halliburton,Exxon-Mobile.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm a centrist, but term limits are no panacea. Voters who really care about the process enough to stay informed and vote out self-serving people are the answer, although I realize this probably only happens in Democracy Utopia.
While I mostly agree with you, perhaps term limits would at least limit the amount of taxpayer money politicians spend on "pork" to get re-elected, and it might also reduce special interests' and lobbyists' influence over politicians.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like most conservatives, you're delusional. There is no real Left movement in the United States. Even The Economist, hardly a left-wing publication, endorsed Obama. Of course, even when the facts show that you're wrong, I doubt that you will see it.
Having voted for Clinton twice and supporting both parties at various times, I know when I am wrong and if Obama proves to be a good President I will vote for him. I think one party rule is not good, and thanks for the insult you are no gentleman.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
They see blood in the water: House, Senate, Whitehouse, all over flowing with Democrats, "Super Majority" Democrats, Unstopable Democrats, and not just Democrats, liberal "soak the rich" Democrats. Forget Bill Clinton and welfare is dead Democratic Leadership Council whimps, but real hard left Liberals with a big capital L. Democrats taking back the country. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are growing fangs, its scary. Any self respecting working man has got to be more than a little afraid. Damn anybody who runs a small business you don't deserve to make over 250K we'll take that from you. Bolshevik Democrats are on the march. Fiction? Over blown? Let me tell you I know a few who are backing that idiot Al Franken in MN, and they hate business, they hate success. Business is the enemy, and wealth accumulation for anyone except the Kennedys is a political sin. This could be bad. Very bad.
Did'ja get any on ya? Froth I mean, you know, like from your mouth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.