Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colour of One's Shoes

13K views 33 replies 30 participants last post by  randyrobotron 
#1 ·
Having done a quick inventory of my shoes, I realize I have only one pair of black, and those are reserved for wearing with my tuxedos. With everything else, including black, grey, navy and khaki pants, I prefer Oxblood lace-ups and loafers. Does anyone else have an aversion to black shoes or is it just me?

#5 ·
Black shoes have their place, dark suits and such. But I prefer browns and #8s.
Not only do I think they go with more but they look better as well. Can anything scream more New Jersey than black shoes with khaki pants?

I also hate to spend money on a fine pair of shoes in black. I know it's still quality leather but it sure is hard to tell.

Things are cyclical so I'm sure that black shoes will soon have their day in the sun again.

#12 ·
If you look at the date of the original post, I think you'll realize that ada8356 was having a little fun with this one.

When I say "you," I refer to the various people who've posted in the past few days. Addressing the OP as "you" is, perhaps, a bit odd, in that he hasn't posted in over 7 years and, of his grand total of 7 posts, 6 were made in a period of three days. I'm pretty sure he's not listening.

#16 ·
If you look at the date of the original post, I think you'll realize that ada8356 was having a little fun with this one.

When I say "you," I refer to the various people who've posted in the past few days. Addressing the OP as "you" is, perhaps, a bit odd, in that he hasn't posted in over 7 years and, of his grand total of 7 posts, 6 were made in a period of three days. I'm pretty sure he's not listening.
Indeed! You are correct, sir!

#17 ·
I wonder if he ever bought another pair of black shoes since posting 7 years ago?

Good thread, no matter how old it is. I put all 3 pairs of my black shoes away for the summer when I pull out the summer wardrobe, as well as all my gray slacks.

I wonder if anyone will still be posting on this thread in 2019?
Indeed! You are correct, sir!

#18 ·
Count me as out of step, perhaps, but given the proper circumstance, black shoes can reign supreme. Being unwilling to concede that I may have too many pair(s) of shoes/boots in the stable, the numbers on hand would seemingly argue that it takes six or seven pair of black shoes/boots to meet my needs! However, also based on the numbers, it would seem that walnut is rapidly overtaking burgundy/cordovan as my favorite hue for a pair of footwear. ;)

#22 ·
I find it fascinating that, since I joined this thread, my opinions have changed so drastically about black shoes. For example, I NEVER wear my black penny loafers anymore with khaki pants, whereas previously, I did so, frequently. Another example, the gray suit with brown oxfords. Before, never. Now, I generally wear shades of brown or cordovan almost exclusively with my grey suit(s). Well, I guess I have learned alot from the sartorially experienced on this thread!
Not a huge fan of black shoes myself. I have one pair of black long wings. The rest are shades of brown and #8. To my eye the #8 can be worn with many colors.

#23 ·
^ I have the same experience. I now wear brown shoes a lot more. I would never have considered buying Walnut color strands... now they're my favorite shoe.

I wear black a lot less frequently. However, I think that black is still the go-to for more formal situations (not just black tie).

#24 ·
love the long running thread

I think black shoes get a bad rap. Personally I wear black jeans often, especially at work where everyone wears jeans. While I cannot bring myself to wear blue jeans at work regularly, I compromised with an extremely comfortable pair of John Varvatos jeans that can almost pass as dress pants. And black pants just go best with black shoes. I'll concede that brown or cordovan shoes are more versatile, but black shoes can still be worn with many other colors. But I'm new to AAAC so maybe the anti-black shoe brainwashing hasn't taken place yet :).

#25 ·
Does anyone else have an aversion to black shoes or is it just me?
Yes, I do. I own one pair of plain black Loake Oxfords, and a pair of brogued black Loake Derbys, and a pair of black Chelsea boots, plus 2 pairs of black Dr Marten's Gibsons
I rarely wear black shoes though. I only wear them with black tie or a light grey suit, sometimes with a navy suit.
My most usual footwear with most things is one of my three pairs of various shades of brown boots or one of my 3 pairs of various shades of brown brogues.

Something I really dislike, and which is all too common nowadays, is this wearing of formal and semi-formal black shoes with everything from light and dark blue jeans to all sorts of coloured chinos from khaki to red and green and yellow and white and purple and brown and orange and so on.

Guys, formal-ish black shoes do not look good with jeans or chinos. Period!

#26 ·
I don't know that I would go so far as to say that "black shoes get a bad rap", but I believe they are under-appreciated in their own context. First let me say that I almost never wear black shoes other than in the evening or with mid to dark suits. But at the same time it is rare for me to put on a dark suit with anything but black shoes.
Black is the traditional color for shoes worn on serious occasions. Black shoes signify to others that the wearer is taking the occasion seriously. Now I do not mean to say that one cannot be serious in brown shoes, or that men cannot do their best without going along with symbolism, but for many men the act of putting on black shoes the morning of a serious occasion can reinforce the thought that " today I have certain responsibilities that I will do my best to fulfill."

Speaking for myself, I find that when something important is going on I feel better in black shoes. Of course it is not the shoes, but then again great ball players are often said to be superstitious because they may take the exact number of steps each time running out from the dugout to their position, or having the same thing to eat right before each game etc. Again, it is not the number of steps or what is on the plate, but it is part of a ritual that calms the mind and by calming the mind helps one to concentrate on the task at hand.

Of course there are those who do not find such things useful. Still for them it is still useful to consider whether or not the choice of what one wears is sending a signal to others. Again, speaking only for myself, I cannot help but think, irrationally or not, that a man who comes to a serious occasion in brown shoes being a bit of a dandy and his ego is to some extent centered on himself and not at the task at hand. I recognize that these thoughts may not have a basis in reality but the thought themselves are real and at least are a distraction. I am also clear that if i wear brown shoes that others may have such thought about me. Even if my shoes do not influence my performance, the thoughts they cause in others are real and may be a distraction. Moreover such distractions, whether or not they reflect an underlying reality are completely unnecessary as they never will arise if one's shoes are black.

One may think that I am over thinking the matter, or that in Toledo there could not possibly be anything important enough going on to even think about shoe color. Perhaps so. On the other hand, our friend upr crust, who posts in the What are you Wearing Today thread most days is a NYC banker charged with enough serious tasks that he is in London for business on a regular basis. Going through his posts one will see that his most common shoe with mid to dark suits is a black bal. Most of the time his monks, bluchers and slip ons are also black. Only when his is wearing a blazer, odd jacket or light suit is he likely to wear a shoe other than black. Perhaps he will favor us with his thoughts on such things.Whether or not he does so it must be recognized that he is proof that black need not be boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.