Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why on earth would anyone wish a bespoke denim shirt? Well, obviously, to obtain one better suited to wear with a tie! Who commits such atrocious sartorial crimes!?!? Most interestedly, me, and then there's this far more accomplished gent who does also.

The publisher of this blog has a remarkable grasp for pairing color and texture. That he also engages in multiple sartorial practices I revile as cliche is something about which I'm sure he doesn't give a d**n, and why should he?

But this far more skillful, not to say adventurous, dresser illustrates some of the reasons for my fondness for denim shirts, and why I enjoy pairing them with the right tie and right jacket. Denim has the ability to be almost a neutral foil for other items while simultaneously offering a wealth of texture and shading, and when paired with cloth also suitably rustic can produce a superb richness of color and texture, as I find it does here.

But since many/most denim shirts are indifferently tailored at best, and most commonly have collars very poorly made to accept a tie, while it may seem absurd at first to have one made bespoke, (Note monogram and collar.) it can actually serve a purpose otherwise very hard to come by.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts
LOL, no harm, no foul, but some might chose to go with a French blue OCBD in an effort to scratch that 'sartorial rebel' itch! :cool:
I'm with you. And it would cost less, too, especially with BB having a 200th anniversary sale and all . . .

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I’m not a fan of French blue. The color is too saturated and even. Also, I’m not fond of my dress shirts being too dark.

Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate denim shirts. I’ve always found them to be a bit too Lash Larue, but I’ve seen some really nice examples and I’m more comfortable with them.

The example above is exactly what I like.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts
To each his own. I like French blue in a semi-casual ensemble. And I define 'semi-casual' as a sport coat over a sport shirt with a tie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.