Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called all over the state (CT) to find one in-store today and finally did manage to get one held for me. Here are a few quick observations.

1. The jackets are cut small, not just fitted. I wear a 42R at 5'11 and 180 lb and the 42R Fitzgerald was much too tight, the 43 fit but if there was such a thing as a 43.5R that might have worked even better.

2. Even with the right sized jacket the cut only works on a slender frame. I am an average build and this would have looked great on me at 19 years old but 25 odd years later - not so much.

3. The pants come flat front and really cry out to remain un-cuffed with that cut.

4. The lapels are very narrow, it results in the sense that the jacket doesn't quite fit even when it does.

5. The pinstripe on the Fitzgerald is more pronounced than on the Madison which is almost subdued in its appearance, you need to be within 6-8 feet of the Madison to notice its pinstriped frankly.

Bottom line, if you are average to tall and have the thinner build found on the 20-something set than by all means give this a try, I was hoping for something a bit hipper and still BB but I would have been better off going for an Italian suit to achieve that. I ended up going with their Madison as it had a "recognizable" cut I was more comfortable with, I jazzed it up by having the pleated pants cuffed. The Fitz would truly be fine on JFK or Obama or Jimmy Stewart (in his youth) but that is the required build and without it you cant pull this suit off.

I did get a chance to see the 1818 pinstripe up against the golden fleece pinstripe and frankly I didn't see enough difference to justify the added expense, I was just after a generic swiss-army knife of a suit that could be worn to a wedding, I don't wear suits for work so I didn't bother to make the leap.

I would really love to see the guy who can fit in this suit correctly try to pair it with a BB shirt - he would have to tie a knot in the fabric behind his back to achieve the matching trim fit of the suit with their balloon shirts!

Final thought:
The sale there was very extensive and there were some bargains to be had but overall even at 50% off some things still didn't seem like much of a value relative to what you might score at the outlet or over the web.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would really love to see the guy who can fit in this suit correctly try to pair it with a BB shirt - he would have to tie a knot in the fabric behind his back to achieve the matching trim fit of the suit with their balloon shirts!
+1
I own a navy and a charcoal Fitz and pair them with BB slim fits. Even then there is still too much material on the shirt. I'm 5' 10" / 155lbs. Very slim.
Overall it works for me.
The Madison is too big in my standard size 38R.
Even the Regent is too large in the chest.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say you represent the perfect build for that suit and I am sure it must look just right on you, its also encouraging to hear the slim fits work, I haven't tried one but I know the regular cut is just too much for me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would say you represent the perfect build for that suit and I am sure it must look just right on you, its also encouraging to hear the slim fits work, I haven't tried one but I know the regular cut is just too much for me.
The slim probably look best on someone with a medium to regular build. IMO the original fit seems to be for very large or overweight men.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
The lapels don't look that narrow... maybe 3" in the least.

If they made something Golden Fleece quality in the Fitzgerald cut, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just started shopping for suits a couple of weeks ago, but the Fitzgerald in 41 fits me well, but in every other style or maker I am a 40. Even the Regent at 41 was too big in the shoulders for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
At 5'6" and 130lbs, I am probably tailor made for the Fitzgerald. When I tried one on in the local BB store, it did reasonably well for me although it would still require some more waist suppression to fit me perfectly. I held off pulling the trigger on either the 2 for $999 or the 1 for $508 deals that just came by for the 1818 suits - will consider it again later this year if the right sale comes along.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
After all the posts on this forum ....

about the Fitzgerald being for the slim, you shouldn't have been surprised that it doesn't fit with your build. At 6', 165 ponds, I can't wear it. The Regent fits me well, as does the Madison, but the Regent has the styling I like, mostly side vents with flat front trousers. Personally, I think BB is to be commended for making suits for the very thin to those requiring a full cut (Madison).

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I wonder how long we're going to be seeing these trimmer suit ranges from BB. The fit sounds so demanding; I wonder how they can sell enough units to make the concept work.

The lesson I would draw is, if you like this cut, buy now.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
The Fitz has been around a few years now, no? It must be doing well enough in some regard.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The Fitz has been around a few years now, no? It must be doing well enough in some regard.
I am not positive, but I think it's been around for a 4-5 years or so.

I think it's nice to have a good quality brand like BB offer different cut and styles to thier suits. If all they offered was the Madison, then I would have no interest ever shopping there. Hopefully the Fitz stays around for awhile.

And as far as the BB slim-fit dress shirts go, don't even bother. They fit like a normal OTR dress shirt. Even over-weight people can fit into them.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
They aren't really slim, but slimmer than normal. They could really do with more of a taper in the waist. Still, I'd rather buy those than the Traditional fit. Those are like potato sacks on me.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I am not positive, but I think it's been around for a 4-5 years or so.

I think it's nice to have a good quality brand like BB offer different cut and styles to thier suits. If all they offered was the Madison, then I would have no interest ever shopping there. Hopefully the Fitz stays around for awhile.

And as far as the BB slim-fit dress shirts go, don't even bother. They fit like a normal OTR dress shirt. Even over-weight people can fit into them.
Five years? I don't think so. I recall coming across a Fitzgerald suit for the first time in the downtown Philly Brooks in, let's see, it would have been the fall of '06, and I believe the Fitz fit was a brand-new offering at that time.

So it's just over two years. I agree it's great that BB offers such a range of cuts; I just wonder how long the experiment's legs are, that's all.

A suit that's cut so trim even a 6-foot, 165-lb. man can't fit into it just strikes me as an item with a rather narrow target market in more than one sense of the term, if you'll pardon the awful play on words.

If it's helping the venerable Brothers appeal to the much-needed younger market (I suspect men who fit into the Fitz skew young), that's wonderful.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.