Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all. I am new to this board and new to thinking seriously about suits. In the past I have worn a variety of suits but am now in the company of well dressed executives on a regular basis. I'd like to be one of those guys one day and in the mean time don't want to handicap myself by dressing poorly. Basically, I'd just like to fit in. I certainly am not trying to out-dress anyone. That would not be appropiate in this case. Currently my only good suit (open to debate, I know) is an $800 Brooks Brothers suit that is getting a little long in the tooth.

I've read a bunch of Treads on this cite and others, this being the most helpful. I now have some idea of what I should be wearing in a men's suit. I've also compared what the folks I am around are wearing to the info I am reading here and find a lot of consistency.

I went to a bunch of suit stores yesterday and looked at various suits. I found a nice grey pin stripe suit at Jos A Bank for $500. It was thier Signature Gold series. It was nice to the touch, seemed well constructed, laid well on me, had pic stiching on the lapels and generally felt good. It was a bit full on me, but I'm thin and have learned to live with that. Only trouble is they don't make it in 42 Extra Long. I tried a 44 Extra Long and looked like David Burn of the Talking Heads.

My question...where does a guy get a good quality $500 suit? What are the options. It seems like you really have to pay up at Brooks Brothers. I can't dive in for $800 per suit right now...I need at least two. It seems like there must be a better value out there, though I feel safe buying there.

I'd love to tap the knowledge that I see on this page.

If it helps, I am in Boston.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello, I'm by no means an expert in any sense of the word but you mentioned that you liked JAB's Signature Gold suit, but it was too full cut for you. JAB has their Joseph Collection, which is their slim-fit line. You might want to check it out. They run about $400-450.

https://www.josbank.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=13223

Another cheaper alternative is getting a suit from Jeff, at the Wizard of Aahs. His Baroni line has been favorably reviewed by Andy here

He also gives AAAC members a discount.

https://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

I have two of his M. Valentino suits and am very satisified with both.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check out this article on suits which gives recommendations for different price levels:

Also Brooks Brothers has occasional Friends and Family sales which are 25 percent off. You just missed it last weekend. Sign up on their email list and they'll notify you of their upcoming sales.

Ask Andy Members with 100 or more posts also receive a discount card for Brooks Brothers which gets you 15 percent off.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
In the Boston area I'd look at the Newton Filene's Basement which has a good selection and suit sales several times a year. Even with alterations you should be able to pick up good quality for that price range.

They also have a variety of makers, which can be nice to try on a number of different cuts. It's possible that in a longer cut (like Corneliani) you may get by with a Long length.

-spence

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the Boston area I'd look at the Newton Filene's Basement which has a good selection and suit sales several times a year. Even with alterations you should be able to pick up good quality for that price range.

They also have a variety of makers, which can be nice to try on a number of different cuts. It's possible that in a longer cut (like Corneliani) you may get by with a Long length.

-spence
I was just in the Newton FB last week and they have a tremendous selection of decent suits. Also, they have some very nice Canali shirts and Borrelli ties on sale.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Challenged,

I've never been a fan of JS Banks, but that's just me. My advice is to go to Syms (there's one up on Route 1 in Saugus, or thereabouts). Great labels at discount prices, because the owners know all the suppliers. It's a lot of overstock, past season, etc., but there's a large selection. I've found Burberry suits for $300. They do tailoring too. I think it's right for your budget and you'll be wearing a lot of the same brands as your colleagues.

BT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Challenged,

I've never been a fan of JS Banks, but that's just me. My advice is to go to Syms (there's one up on Route 1 in Saugus, or thereabouts). Great labels at discount prices, because the owners know all the suppliers. It's a lot of overstock, past season, etc., but there's a large selection. I've found Burberry suits for $300. They do tailoring too. I think it's right for your budget and you'll be wearing a lot of the same brands as your colleagues.

BT
I was going to edit my post, to include Syms, but BespokeT did a great job of it. I was at Syms last weekend and they have a good selection of quality suits. You can find decent quality shirts including Burberry and Ike Behar as well as a wide assortment of quality ties including Robert Talbott.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you hit the right sale you should be able to get a Brooks Brothers suit for around $500. You should also be able to find Jos A Bank Sig Gold for less than $500. They occasionally get down to $200 albeit with limited selection. Filene's Basement and Syms are good options if you're willing to go hunting.

I did hear about Frank's Custom Tailoring from another member of this forum. If you're strictly looking for a big name label I don't think it's right for you, but I've heard they do a great job making people look good in no-name suits. I think a lot of people would agree that fit is more important than the label. I personally don't have any experience with them, but thought it might be helpful to mention them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Initial Findings

I'm diving right in. I went to Syms and Filenes Basement tonight. I found a suit called a Mark Schaffner Marx (Clasic #1) for $359 that I like a bit, but not a lot. The sales person looked at me like I said something obscene when I asked her whether it was 120 wool. It seems you are a bit on your own there. Anyone have any luck with that brand?

I am not caught up on the notion of buying a particular brand and think that for a tall thin guy like me I need a good taylor no matter what I buy.

At Filene's Basement I saw a really nice blue pin stripe suit for $599. Only issue with that is that my only decent suit (a BB's) is also a blue pinstripe. I might go back for it anyway. It was a Zegna. It was 90% wool, 10% silk. Would that wear as well as pure wool? Anyone have an opinion on whether that's a decent deal?

I'm thinking about one of these Beroni suits as well. I looked at the website. My only reservation is that it says that it is light weight wool. One of the things I like about BB suits and the Jos A Bank suit I looked at is that they feel substantial. I wonder if it will be too light? I'll have to find a good taylor too.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I was in the same situation you are in just about a month ago. I ended up going to JAB and got two suits which I'm happy with so far. I got a sig for $300 and a exec for about $200. I found out later on this site that I could have done slightly better, but oh well. The Sig is a nice suit, but the exec really doesn't work if you plan on wearing it frequently as it creases super easily.

A couple days after I got those I went to nordstrom rack and found a sweet pinstriped gray canali for $600. I've gone back to a rack a few other times and have always seen Hickey Freeman and Canalis so I know they will be there frequent enough to add to my collection when I'm ready to buy another. I think for $600 the canali can't be beat. Good luck.

ps, if you really want to help your budget out go check out thrift stores. I just made my first trip to one looking for dress wear and came back with 3 shirts and a tie for $22. The shirts are a brooks brothers, nordstrom, and forsyth(never heard of the brand before but it felt and looked great, turns out its a decent brand). The tie was a brooks brothers which I got for $4.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thrift Stores

I stopped by two thrift stores during my wanderings today. At one of them, they separate the suit coats from the pants. Crazy. It would take you quite a while to match a jacket with its pants, if you ever could.

The second place had quite a few Brooks Brothers suits. A few in really good shape. The bad news is that since I am very tall there was nothing that came close to fittng me. I've enlisted help on this front. My wife is going to stop in periodically. I'm going to give her a peice of twine that is my sleeve length and has my shoulder with marked on it. That way she can put it in her bag and just break it out if she thinks she sees something interesting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've enlisted help on this front. My wife is going to stop in periodically. I'm going to give her a peice of twine that is my sleeve length and has my shoulder with marked on it. That way she can put it in her bag and just break it out if she thinks she sees something interesting.
Great idea. Also, if you know your suit size and measurements, don't be afraid to check eBay. My younger brother is a difficult size (54L, he was a college football player) and has had luck with eBay as well as the Brooks Brothers outlets. He found a Golden Fleece 3/2 Sack Blazer for the rediculous price of $49!

Just keep looking, you'll eventually find something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did hear about Frank's Custom Tailoring from another member of this forum. If you're strictly looking for a big name label I don't think it's right for you, but I've heard they do a great job making people look good in no-name suits. I think a lot of people would agree that fit is more important than the label. I personally don't have any experience with them, but thought it might be helpful to mention them.
Frank's carries a lot of the brands that the Style Wizard also carries (Baroni, Mantoni). Alterations are also free with the suit purchase, so it can be a great deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.