Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My general view of the Alden monkstrap has been that the strap is too narrow. The overall look just wasn't right somehow. I was always of the opinion that the English did it better. Here's the shell version:

However, I just saw this Alden monk on the Carroll & Co. website:

Now this has a great look to me, just right, in fact. Is this a special makeup for Carroll & Co.? Tom, is something like this possible? Is it just a different angle and really the same shoe?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Don't wish to disagree, but the shapes look very similar to me. Different leather and finish and camera angle of course, but otherwise quite the same. My eye isn't always the best however, and I would tend to trust your judgement.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
No, You are right. Alden has a new last called the plaza last. I have seen it on 3 shoes. A slip on, a Blucher and the monk. It is there version of a square or chisled toe box. It is one of the nicer lasts I have seen by them.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Now this has a great look to me, just right, in fact. Is this a special makeup for Carroll & Co.? Tom, is something like this possible? Is it just a different angle and really the same shoe?
Alan,

That is a stock shoe in Alden's Plaza collection. It's available in black, walnut, and I believe brown suede.

· Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My general view of the Alden monkstrap has been that the strap is too narrow. The overall look just wasn't right somehow. I was always of the opinion that the English did it better. Here's the shell version:
Tom, if you can, are both shoes pictured the same last and style, only with different leather?
According to the Alden website the shell version (pictured above) is on the Aberdeen, which means they are on different lasts. Good to know my eyes aren't deceiving me.

· Registered
63 Posts
The shell monk strap was the first Alden shoe I purchased. I have had them now for about (2) months and really like them. I have about (11) pair of AE (including the Thayer monk) and have always had a "thing" for AE.

In fact, I have been a member here for only a couple weeks longer then I have had the Aldens, as it was this fine locale that I learned of them for the first time. I always believed AE were the best shoe and never bothered to look elsewhere.

I like both companies a lot and really love the look of the Alden monk. I have them on right now!

Thanks for the tips, John

· Registered
2,633 Posts
I have the first one with the Aberdeen last and it fits me well. I wanted the Plaza last one, it is a bit different but they do not make them in Narrow widths and even if you could get a Plaza Narrow (I had ShoeMart do one for me) I would need an A not a B, a wider shoe for sure. I wish I could get the Alberdeen in a Walnut or brown color but that ain't gonna happen. Alden has such a small line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.