Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
You wear that shoe with a suit, and no one but the people on this forum will think anything wrong with it. What we think will devastate you, so don’t worry about our opinions. You like the shoe so go ahead and get it.

Anybody here ever see a closed channel Blake stitched shoe? I’m giving it the benefit of a doubt because the concept of a cemented shoe at $575 is incomprehensible.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Those are not a best choice, but they are of a sleek enough design that they could work with a suit. Though keep in mind, the grained texture of the leather, the open throat design and the rubber sole of those shoes all possibly load in against success in such endeavors! ;)

PS: To put things in perspective, I too am a fan of textured hides and certain rubber sole designs and share the pain , you might possibly experience in reading my words above. :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'm just starting to look, an maybe there's something out with a closed throat that might get closer to the line. I don't wear a suit *that* often, and so a slightly less formal shoe also fits with my more common attire.

@eagle2250 : I'm just getting started down the shoe rabbit hole. Any textured particular shoes/brands that you recommend I look at/lust after?

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Those are not a best choice, but they are of a sleek enough design that they could work with a suit. Though keep in mind, the grained texture of the leather, the open throat design and the rubber sole of those shoes all possibly load in against success in such endeavors! ;)

PS: To put things in perspective, I too am a fan of textured hides and certain rubber sole designs and share the pain , you might possibly experience in reading my words above. :(
I din't think about the rubber sole. So it cannot be closed channel can it?

OP don't get a cemented shoe. In your price range you can do much better for quality construction.

Would this Loak work?

Footwear Shoe Grey Walking shoe Outdoor shoe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not wild about the combination smooth toe & textured body in the Loak. It's definitely a more formal look, but doesn't feel right.

Thanks for reminding me about confirming the construction. I don't think it would be cemented, but will definitely find out if/before buying.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
PTB (plain toe blucher) in black are a bit uninspiring albeit the grain gives it a bit of flair. If you prefer Italian shoes with lighter construction and softer materials (blake/blake rapide) also take a look at Santoni. Some of their shoes are blake, others GYW. Also, if construction is an issue, the Tramezza line for Feragamo is GYW I believe. Any reason you want black? Unless you wear a lot of black clothing, a burgundy or dark brown may be a bit more useful. I probably would prefer a Monk or Double Monk as a casual alternative to wear with suits over the shoe you had in the OP. (versus an oxford).

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
If your tastes lean toward the less formal side, then why a suit?

Those shoes are wrong on a number of levels. I don’t care for the logo stamped on the uppers. The textured leather will clash with the suit.

There’s a time and a place for everything. It’s not the time nor place for this shoe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need a suit about a dozen times a year so I'm looking for a shoe that I like, can wear with other outfits, but doesn't look too off when dressed up. I'll be in DC next month and will have the opportunity to try on the shoes with a suit, so I'll be able to see how it sits with me. I hadn't seen the logo; if it's at all obvious in person then that would probably also drive me away from the shoe. I don't need anything immediately, so can wait for something that really grabs me.

@JBierly asked about color & style: a dark burgundy would be fine, and I do like sleeker profiles when they fit my foot. That's the other factor, of course. Having finally found some shoes that fit, I can't believe the discomfort I used to put up with when I was younger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.