Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a book or cd book with classic prints on it like houndstooth, gingham, checks, plaids, glen plaid, blackwatch etc...

Does anyone know of any book or cd titles that have this sort of thing? I am sure there are some out there, but I can not seem to find any.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Ari

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
I am looking for a book or cd book with classic prints on it like houndstooth, gingham, checks, plaids, glen plaid, blackwatch etc...

Does anyone know of any book or cd titles that have this sort of thing? I am sure there are some out there, but I can not seem to find any.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Ari
I'm not entirely certain if you're looking specifically for photos, or for drawings, or how detailed you require the image to be. Or how comprehensive you want this assortment to be. But something of this sort would certainly be nice to have. I vaguely remember something like this coming up in conversation with a tailor, or possibly a shirtmaker about a source book, but can't recall anything specific. You might want to consult one of the design schools in Manhattan, or even the public library. (No doubt a nice place to browse old Apparel Arts issues!)

The book Will mentioned, The Elegant Man, is very nice at showing photos of various types of fabric from various fibers. But while some of the fabrics have patterns, it really focuses just on the fabric, and doesn't include that many patterns. I.e., the patterns are incidental.

Will has also discussed Minnis and Hardy on his blog, A Suitable Wardrobe. They are mercers of classic English fabrics and have a website that has photos of many classic patterns and colors. The only problem is that the photos are rather dark, and don't come off that well on a monitor. But it might be worth taking a look at anyway, as it's a very nice collection of fabrics.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response.

I am working on a clothing line and I need an extensive selection of prints.

I saw on Amazon a book called Scottish Estate Tweeds. From what I know, you are not allowed to copy the actual Estate tweeds but you can change them around or swap colors.

What would be ideal is a cd or website with high quality prints and a vast selection.

I came across a website that had Scottish tweeds but it is 99% plaids. I need a broader range.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you can't find a book, go to Google Images (or AOL or whatever) and type what you may be looking for, then save the image to your computer hard drive by right clicking and clicking on save as....(apologies to you if this is very elementary)

Also, go to Google UK and type in various fabric names, such a tweed, and you will find merchants providing swatch photos. In the UK you may want to use the terms dogtooth, glen check/glen cheque, etc.

The estate tweed book may have possibly been the one published by Johnstons of Elgin, not too inexpensive as I recall.

Any US Scottish outfitter will have tartan photo books.

Your local library.

Not at hand, the book "Gentleman" by whatshisname from Germany has some fabric examples, one thinks.

Research Mr. Will's blog for examples to save.

A variety of county cloths at www.tweed-jacket.com

If you're in the states, copying estate checques should not be a problem. Most of us don't have a clue. Now, if you go stalking the highlands that's another matter.

To get you started with makers and merchants (there are some that don't begin with H):
www.hlesser.co.uk
www.harrisonscloth.com
www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk
www.hollandandsherry.co.uk
www.hainsworth.co.uk
(I think they're all still in business. Some I haven't checked in a couple of years.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.