Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the welcome advent of DVD full-season sets, I have quite a number of television series in progress, in correct episode order. Among them:

All Creatures Great and Small
The Avengers
Eli Stone
Hawaii Five -O ("Book 'em, Danno!")
Hill Street Blues
Mad Men
Nero Wolfe
Northern Exposure
The Sopranos
The Untouchables
The Wild Wild West

I have watched all of Six Feet Under, Twin Peaks, and Upstairs, Downstairs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Between DVD and DVR I find myself doing the same thing. It started with The West Wing, Twin Peaks and Sopranos but has expanded to include Rome, Mad Men, Get Smart and a host of others. Television shows are much better when watched at once IMHO.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the Avengers!
I recently purchased my first John Steed bowler, and have been receiving many admiring comments on it.

The Avengers is as stylish -- in every sense -- as television gets.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone (besides me) watch any current TV series...like Caruso? It started out with a promising premier episode but, is rapidly losing momentum in my estimation!
Mad Men and Eli Stone (both with awesome menswear!), but even those I watch on DVDs, not "live." DVDs are just more convenient for me, and I can watch at my own pace.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The only television series I have on DVD are Volumes 4 and 5 of Family Guy. :aportnoy:

I don't think this was what Andy had in mind when he started this forum. :eek:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thanks to the welcome advent of DVD full-season sets, I have quite a number of television series in progress, in correct episode order. Among them:

All Creatures Great and Small
The Avengers
Eli Stone
Hawaii Five -O ("Book 'em, Danno!")
Hill Street Blues
Mad Men
Nero Wolfe
Northern Exposure
The Sopranos
The Untouchables
The Wild Wild West

I have watched all of Six Feet Under, Twin Peaks, and Upstairs, Downstairs.
The Wire. The Wire. The Wire. Did I mention The Wire? If I forgot to, by all means get the DVD sets of The Wire. It might very well be The Great American Novel. Deadwood was pretty good as well. HBO had something of a Golden Age from 1999 - 2008. Ricky Gervais' series The Office and Extras are also must haves. Extras is as funny - or funnier - than Fawlty Towers. There, I've said it. And I mean it.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
The only television series I have on DVD are Volumes 4 and 5 of Family Guy. :aportnoy:

I don't think this was what Andy had in mind when he started this forum. :eek:
I like that show, although my favorite stuff is the earlier years before Stewie went over the top. I think they need to show more of him struggling with the limits if toddlerhood even as he displays his precocity.

I (cringe) also like Survivor. Maybe we can have a low-brow thread someday.

(Hides)

·
Registered
934 Posts
I recently purchased my first John Steed bowler, and have been receiving many admiring comments on it.

The Avengers is as stylish -- in every sense -- as television gets.
Where did you buy the hat? If you bought it from Locke & Company it is called a "coke". I bought mine in 1970 but was worn for Regimental Remembrance activities. I can't remember if Steed's hat came from Jamison or Locke. The roll of the brim is more Locke. Mine is kept in a leather hat box. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Wire. The Wire. The Wire. Did I mention The Wire? If I forgot to, by all means get the DVD sets of The Wire. It might very well be The Great American Novel.
I definitely plan to get to it. I have a long list!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm an avid Aaron Sorkin fan. I think that "The West Wing" was one of the wittiest shows I've ever seen. "Sports Night" was also great, but I think I'm the only person in America who watched that one. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" has SO much potential - wonderful cast and writing. It just seemed to almost try TOO hard. It was almost painful to watch it go through several identity crisis episodes before ending.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did you buy the hat? If you bought it from Locke & Company it is called a "coke". I bought mine in 1970 but was worn for Regimental Remembrance activities. I can't remember if Steed's hat came from Jamison or Locke. The roll of the brim is more Locke. Mine is kept in a leather hat box. Enjoy.
It is American vintage, from the B. Altman department store, akin to the "Junior Executive" model that Jack Lemmon memorably buys in The Apartment.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I concur this would have to be one of the best intelligent dramas that ever went to air, but alongside this you could and should put the Singing Detective.

HBO has some very good dramas which air from time to time and here in Australia the ABC produced some very gritty character driven productions over the years but as a piece of television which captured both the zeitgeist of the day and great acting Edge of Darkness has it all.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The Wire. The Wire. The Wire. Did I mention The Wire? If I forgot to, by all means get the DVD sets of The Wire. It might very well be The Great American Novel. Deadwood was pretty good as well. HBO had something of a Golden Age from 1999 - 2008. Ricky Gervais' series The Office and Extras are also must haves. Extras is as funny - or funnier - than Fawlty Towers. There, I've said it. And I mean it.
I've enjoyed Homicide: Life on the Street. The Wire has been described as "Homicide if they'd really let them do what they wanted to."

And, of course, Richard Belzer's Detective Munch has been on both series. I think that he has now played this role on ten different television series.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've enjoyed Homicide: Life on the Street. The Wire has been described as "Homicide if they'd really let them do what they wanted to."

And, of course, Richard Belzer's Detective Munch has been on both series. I think that he has now played this role on ten different television series.
I haven't seen Homicide, but after The Wire it would seem to be something of a come down. Belzer only did a single cameo in the final season of The Wire, having a drink in a "cop bar." It was kind of funny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.