Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just received a pair of brown suede tassel loafers in the mail today, and they slip a bit at the heel.

i honestly wan't to save myself the trouble of returning them and waiting for a new pair ( as well as save on shipping costs) so does anyone with experience have any sure fire ways of solving this problem?

with things like laced boots i know i could easily throw in an insole and call it a day, but perhaps loafers would have a different remedy.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
472 Posts
^^ I think they are called tongue pads, rebel is correct. I have that problem with several loafers and it fixes the heel slippage, even though you apply them under the tongue.

Be careful to apply them in the right place on the tongue the first time, as they are very sticky, and it's a pain to reapply.:teacha:

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I have some mocs with which i experience the same problem. taking an insole out of another pair of shoes and putting them in the mocs helped here, but, of course mocs are relatively unconstructed, so I dont know how this would work for proper loafers.

1,767 Posts
i just received a pair of brown suede tassel loafers in the mail today, and they slip a bit at the heel.

i honestly wan't to save myself the trouble of returning them and waiting for a new pair ( as well as save on shipping costs) so does anyone with experience have any sure fire ways of solving this problem?

with things like laced boots i know i could easily throw in an insole and call it a day, but perhaps loafers would have a different remedy.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Not what you want to hear,but you didn't mention the brand of the tassels.

Eric, at Tom Austin, advised me years ago that with Alden tassels you always needed to go 1/2 size up, and one width narrower than your other Alden shoes, (most merchants won't tell you this, because they don't know, or they carry nothing but a D width, and don't want to be bothered with getting, let's say a C width.) Eric was right. A 9D causes the heel slippage that you mentioned. A 9 1/2 C fits perfectly.

Having said all of this, I'm begging you not to screw around with trying to modify your new tassels, that don't fit.

You probably paid a lot for them, and could wear them for years.

The inside modification will probably keep you from enjoying the shoes, so they end up in a thrift shop, in less time than it would take you to get replacements. If it takes 2 months to get the right size, my guess is that it will be well worth the wait, in the long run.

· Registered
410 Posts
How much should a slip-on slip?

The manager of the Alden Shop in SF told me that all slip-ons slip a bit, and that store in SF stocks slip-ons in every width from A to E.

I thought all loafers/slip-ons slip a bit at the heel. I am an 11 1/2B. I have the Alden Aberdeen last full strap slip-on in shell cordovan in my exact size. They slip a bit. I've had them for 11 years and even recrafted.

My Alden LHS 11C in dark brown calf slips even more. I just purchased a new pair of shell cordovan LHS in 11 1/2B, and they fit like a dream, yet they still slip a bit.

A slip-on has to slip, but if it slips and irritates/rubs your achilles, that is a bigger problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.