Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at possibly buying a tan Canali suit and was wondering what some of you readers thought about them. How much of a necessity is a tan suit? It's a general consensus that solid navy and charcoal are the first two must-haves, but what comes next? Pinstripe navy or charcoal? Black? Or is a tan a "must have suit."

Additionally, I've heard that tan suits should be made of cotton, as they are worn during the summer and spring more than winter or fall. Any truth to this, or should I stick to wool even for a tan suit?

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Tan is indeed most appropriate in spring and summer and in warmer climates. While there is a place for cotton summer suits, wool is generally a better and more versatile choice. In fact, lightweight wool can actually feel cooler than cotton. Whether one needs (or at least would be well-served by) a tan suit in his wardrobe depends on one's lifestyle, location and personal preferences.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tan is indeed most appropriate in spring and summer and in warmer climates. While there is a place for cotton summer suits, wool is generally a better and more versatile choice. In fact, lightweight wool can actually feel cooler than cotton. Whether one needs (or at least would be well-served by) a tan suit in his wardrobe depends on one's lifestyle, location and personal preferences.
I agree. I have a BB Makers, Tan suit of a light worsted that I wear a lot. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but it's become a regular part of the spring and summer rotation.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I prefer the three conservative colours for suits (plain or striped). If it for wearing in spring/summer it would not look out of place but avoid i autumn/winter.
Due the colour, not the best for very formal occasion, could be used for formal occasions. Although I would prefer a tan blazer/sportscoat with formal trousers instead.

One advantage you may have purchasing a tan suit now is in the sales it will cheaper then in the summer sales.

As for the suit colour musts - if two colours then grey/navy (plain or striped) and black. There are ocassions when black suits are needed, e.g. funeral; whereas for something like an interview one could wear navy or grey (plain or striped)

·
Registered
332 Posts
+1

Since you are in Alabama wear its warmer than most of the country, you can probably extend the wearing season from late March to late November.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As said above, a tan suit makes a nice foundation for many shirts and ties and even colorful socks if one cares for colorful socks. I prefer the looks of a tan cotton suit, but the last suit I had made was a lightweight tan wool because cotton wrinkles so easily.

Mine is a three piece suit and I wear it as a nine month suit and find it very useful.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a Brooks Brothers khaki poplin suit that I wear constantly in the spring and summer. Everything (shirts, ties, pocket squares, etc) seems to look great with it.

If you don't have one yet, go for it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have a Brooks Brothers khaki poplin suit that I wear constantly in the spring and summer. Everything (shirts, ties, pocket squares, etc) seems to look great with it.

If you don't have one yet, go for it.

Cheers!
I agree heartily. I love tan suits. I have a light tan poplin and a darker tan gabardine, and both see plenty of use. I don't hesitate to wear the gab all winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.