Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. first post here. so i want to buy a tan lightweight wool (not cotton) suit for the summer. am considering this: https://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=330&show=359&display=9416&group=1

2 questions
1. what is gabbardine? im assuming this is a lightweight wool suit???
2. my size is a 42L, whereas this suit is only available in a 43L. can a good tailor make this fit properly?

thanks in advance

ps: as an alternative i am considering a oxxford 42L tan suit that i picked up from Filenes for $1k...unfortunately, even at that price (2/3 off) it is more than i want to spend, especially in today's economy.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
hello all. first post here. so i want to buy a tan lightweight wool (not cotton) suit for the summer. am considering this: https://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=330&show=359&display=9416&group=1

2 questions
1. what is gabbardine? im assuming this is a lightweight wool suit???
2. my size is a 42L, whereas this suit is only available in a 43L. can a good tailor make this fit properly?

thanks in advance

ps: as an alternative i am considering a oxxford 42L tan suit that i picked up from Filenes for $1k...unfortunately, even at that price (2/3 off) it is more than i want to spend, especially in today's economy.
1. Gabardine is a fabric with an even twill weave and a fluid hand. (feel) Traditionally, it was more of an in-between season fabric, and tended to wear too warm for summer in most areas. But things change. I've seen gabardine that was like tissue paper, and that would certainly be comfortable for summer. A 150's fabric is made of very fine wool fibers, and I'd bet the particular suit in question can probably be used for summer.

2. All things being equal, it shouldn't be too hard for a competent alterations tailor to make the 43L fit you. The suit in question is described as trimly cut and looks it, so a little extra room might not hurt.

I'm not wild about the cut of this suit, or of Silver's tailored garments in general. But if you like it, this looks like a very fine suit, and is a very good value at the sale price.

Snatch it up NOW!

If you want it.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Tan gabardine works well for spring, but because it is a twill weave it won't breath well in summer. The Super 150s fabric makes this a suit best saved for occasional wear. I prefer Ben Silver over ready to wear Oxxford as BS makes their trousers with forward pleats. I like the BS cut myself. I think the 43 suit can be made to fit you.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
A classic suit and not a bad price. Be advised that 150s means a very lightweight fabric, so don't expect this to be among the harder-wearing suits you will ever own. They actually have my size and I'd be tempted were it for my knowledge that BS tailored jackets tend to be too small for me in the shoulders and upper sleeves.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have this suit, and I love it. It is heavier than poplin or linen. I have an unusual climate: Half the time in Phoenix and half the time in Flagstaff. So it works in winter in Phoenix and Flagstaff in the summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice all.

i have never owned a Ben Silver jacket or suit before, so I think i will order it, take it and the Oxxford to a tailor and see what the tailor thinks. as i said, the Oxxford is a little more than i would like to spend, although it is objectively a "better deal." it is a beautiful material, although it has a lower, italian cut which i am not a huge fan of.

from what i have gathered, gabbardine is a slightly heavier fabric but b/c it is 150s it will be extremely breathable, but also less durable. interestingly, it had never occurred to me that a 150s suit would be less durable, although that makes sense--as with other clothes, the more delicate the fabric, the less durable it tends to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.