Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is a newbie question so forgive me. I have been getting MTM suits made abroad now for a few years and would like to try a 'homegrown' tailor. Unfortunately I can't afford the full Saville Row experience, but I've heard that there are a few tailors in my part of the country (West Yorkshire [Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield etc]) that are good and still use a floating canvas. As with many things, I think that personal recommendations are the best way to find a great tailor. Can anybody suggest a tailor(s) that they have used?so that I can go and talk to them? Please PM me is you don't want to advertise for somebody on the forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Steffan

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
There people like Manning & Manning and Thomas Mahon who are based on Savile Row and off it. Thomas has a base in Cumbria and but Manning's base is in Kent. Steed are based in northern England as well, not sure where - starting prices are stated on their website as well.

I have not used any of three mentioned; however, you would be disappointed with their work.

These tailors can make MTM suits using both methods fused (cheaper option) and floating canvas. Just because they offer the fused option, does not make them bad tailors.

Then you have places like Hemingway are based in Wakefield and they offer MTM and bespoke. https://www.hemingwaytailors.co.uk
They have made suits for a quite a number of high profile celebs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steffan
I have used Rhodes-Wood in Leeds and was very satisfied with the result and I would use them again. The last time I was there (about a year ago) they had two tailors who could be used from the Leeds shop. The first, Mr Bills, is the ex-proprietor of PH Godlove and is the one I used and he was on site most of the time. The second, who I did not meet, I was told was ex- Huntsman.
The shop has a reasonable range of fabrics, mainly Holland and Sherry, Porter and Harding and Dormeuil. The service is very good but I would say that you should have a firm idea of what you are looking for when you go there. They have two makes - MTM, which is part fused, and bespoke which is hand stitched canvas. They also do CMT work.
Prices ranged from around £550 - £750 MTM, £700- £1,250 bespoke depending on choice of cloth. CMT was £650. As I said, this was a year ago.
Another idea might be to visit Bateman & Ogden, who are a fabric merchant based in Bradford. They have a wide range of fabrics which you will be able to see on the roll and can purchase by the suit length. Even if you do not buy anything, they are very nice people and will be able to recommend a few tailors for you to speak to based on your preferences and budget. (One point, though, they are of the opinion that there are only 'two or three' tailors in Yorkshire who stitch a good hand canvassed suit left).
Good luck.
GAH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leeds being primarily a working class city has very few tailors, despite having been near the centre of Britains cloth trade, though this has now completely dissapeared.

I bought a pair of lovely red cords from Rhodes-Wood, excellent service, he had them finished within 3 days. Really excellent quality.

Also, slightly off topic, but must recommend Craggs Shoes in Leeds as well, they have a great selection of Loake, Churchs, Greener etc shoes.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Leeds being primarily a working class city has very few tailors, despite having been near the centre of Britains cloth trade, though this has now completely dissapeared.

I bought a pair of lovely red cords from Rhodes-Wood, excellent service, he had them finished within 3 days. Really excellent quality.

Also, slightly off topic, but must recommend Craggs Shoes in Leeds as well, they have a great selection of Loake, Churchs, Greener etc shoes.
No it hasn't. There is still a suiting cloth industry in the UK. For example, John Foster, Edwin Woodhouse, Cavendish and Bulmer&Lumb still produce some fine fabrics and are all based in the Leeds/Bradford area.

W_B

·
Registered
11 Posts
No it hasn't. There is still a suiting cloth industry in the UK. For example, John Foster, Edwin Woodhouse, Cavendish and Bulmer&Lumb still produce some fine fabrics and are all based in the Leeds/Bradford area.

W_B
My grandfather is an ex-textiles man (for Todd & Duncan, Pringle, etc) and thus font of all sartorial knowledge. And he told me so :icon_smile_wink:. However, being of his age, he is prone to a slightly tinted view of the state of modern Britain :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
There people like Manning & Manning and Thomas Mahon who are based on Savile Row and off it. Thomas has a base in Cumbria and but Manning's base is in Kent. Steed are based in northern England as well, not sure where - starting prices are stated on their website as well.

I have not used any of three mentioned; however, you would be disappointed with their work.

These tailors can make MTM suits using both methods fused (cheaper option) and floating canvas. Just because they offer the fused option, does not make them bad tailors.

Then you have places like Hemingway are based in Wakefield and they offer MTM and bespoke. https://www.hemingwaytailors.co.uk
They have made suits for a quite a number of high profile celebs.
Both Steed and Mahon whilst being good are effectively pricing very close to Savile Row prices. They are ex Anderson and Sheppard men and to practical purpose regard themselves of 'Savile Row in the Country.' They do not meet the OP's needs at all.

Thomas Mahon does not do MTM or use fused canvasses although Steed has advertised a cheaper range in the past.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My grandfather is an ex-textiles man (for Todd & Duncan, Pringle, etc) and thus font of all sartorial knowledge. And he told me so :icon_smile_wink:. However, being of his age, he is prone to a slightly tinted view of the state of modern Britain :icon_smile_big:
There are still some tailors in Leeds though you have to look for them: I think your grandfather's thoughts are perhaps not based on research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tailors in West Yorkshire

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I decided to try a tailor called Steve Horsman. I've gone for a full canvas 2 piece suit in a local cloth. Has anybody used him before or know of him?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Higgins and Brown

Hi guys,

What a great read!! I have had three suits from Higgins and Brown and ordered my forth early last moth, due towards the end of the month. A grey lighweight flannel with pink lining, no doubt it will set tongue's wagging in the office!! I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Not fair to compare as I have only had them and one other Leeds tailor make for me but I would not be tempted to change back to my original tailor!!

The new suit has cost me £600, which I used to pay for Hugo Boss suits, and I must say if it turns out like the others will be money well spent.

So in answer to your post Bill well worth a try!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's loads of tailors in Leeds. Refugees from the old Burtons factory. Finding a good one is tricky.
Given the length of time since Burton's were actually making MTM suits in bulk, I think most of the ex Burton's staff are either dead or retired, so I have to disagree here.

I would say there are very few tailors at all in Leeds & therefore finding a good one is even more tricky.

Another idea might be to visit Bateman & Ogden, who are a fabric merchant based in Bradford........... they are very nice people and will be able to recommend a few tailors for you to speak to based on your preferences and budget. (One point, though, they are of the opinion that there are only 'two or three' tailors in Yorkshire who stitch a good hand canvassed suit left).
In my experience Bateman Ogden are VERY reluctant to ever recommend any tailor (& why would they, if you were disappointed with the suit, it would reflect badly on them!)

I know only too well how hard it is to find any tailor in Leeds or Bradford, never mind a good one!

Yes, there are the high profile City Centre businesses (Rhodes Wood, etc), but these are still relatively expensive if you want canvas bespoke & a decent cloth because you are paying for the City Centre rents & the retailer's margin.

I wanted to deal directly with the tailor himself (& save a few pounds in the process!).

After lots of hard work (& a few shoddy suits from tailors that I will not defame by naming here), I finally whittled it down to a shortlist of 2: Steve Horsman & Mel Woodhead in Farsley.

I tried Mel Woodhead & was so satisfied with my first suit that I never got around to sampling Steve Horsman (so I would be intersted to see your thoughts here).

Depending upon what exactly you specify & how much work is involved, a bespoke 2 piece suit with fully canvassed coat from Mel will cost you around £350 + cloth.

I don't doubt that those of you making the pilgrimage to Steed or Thomas Mahon over in Cumbria may end up with a superior product, however for mere mortals on a budget I would whole heartedly recommend Mel Woodhead.

I am a notoriously fussy b*gger with everything in life & I have been throughly disappointed in the past with the cut & quality of MTM suits purchased both at home & abroad.
In fact I became so disillusioned with the quality of "affordable" tailoring that I reverted to the safety & predictability of buying RTW from Gieves & Hawkes.

I have always been absolutely delighted with my suits from Mel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update on my progress, apologies for the long delay in picking this thread back up, but it has been one hell of a year..... :mad:

Anyways, I went to Steve Horsman's rooms in Armley, Leeds (if you know Leeds then you'll know that Armley is not the most salubrious area). They are very much the workplace of a tailor, rather than an office or a place to receive clients. I found Steve very friendly and willing to explain stuff to to me. I do feel that you need to go in with a strong idea of what you want, as didn't feel I was given much direction on what I should be doing/looking for to make the best of my (rather odd) figure. Steve gives 2 options a half canvas (the default option) and a full canvas. He does the jackets himself and 'outsources' the trousers to somebody else. Choice of fabrics was a bit limited (I guess if you know what you want the he will get it for you). I ended up going for a Yorkshire medium weight chalk stripe, I wish I'd gone a bit more upmarket, but it is good everyday fabric.

I had 3 fittings, the first with a full baste and the sleeve attached while I was there. The jacket is very well made and is pretty heavy. I think it fits pretty well. The trousers on the other hand are a bit of a disaster, to put it bluntly they just don't fit properly. When I asked the tailor about it I was told they just needed pressing :icon_pale:

So in conclusion a pleasant experience, a decent jacket and some rubbish trousers. I'm still undecided if I'll go back for another suit. Maybe now I have a better idea of what I want and what to ask for I'll get a better result or maybe I'll try somebody else..... TBC:aportnoy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.