Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you're trying on a suit coat, blazer or sport jacket. On the back, right under the collar when you put it on, appears a "roll" in the fabric running horizontally across your back. Is that a shoulder thing for the tailor to fix or is it a collar adjustment for the tailor?

(PS: It's a little exaggerated in this picture because I had to contort a little to get the shot using mirrors. And I don't wear that shirt with that jacket. :icon_smile_big:)

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
This is common. The collar is too high. If your shoulders are more squared than sloping this will often happen. I believe it used to be properly fixed by removing the collar, cutting away excess material and reattaching it. I've also noticed that if a jacket is too snug, or oddly, too loose, these folds can tend to appear.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's a common fix, and as long as your looking at 1/2-3/4 of an inch or less for the collar to be dropped, you shouldn't be looking at more than $30-$50 from most places I've seen. If you have to drop more than that it's more work to open up the shoulder seam and the collar and shorten the back.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
OK, you're trying on a suit coat, blazer or sport jacket. On the back, right under the collar when you put it on, appears a "roll" in the fabric running horizontally across your back. Is that a shoulder thing for the tailor to fix or is it a collar adjustment for the tailor?

(PS: It's a little exaggerated in this picture because I had to contort a little to get the shot using mirrors. And I don't wear that shirt with that jacket. :icon_smile_big:)
its difficult since you are reaching fore ward and distorting the shoulder. but moving the collar will not work.
the entire back must be shortened at the top.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I always have this problem. They mark the shoulders, so I assume that's what they actually adjust.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
If you really want to avoid this problem then you need to go bespoke. Your tailor will crooken the balance of the coat with the neck point being placed a little more backwards on your pattern. You most like have a very erect stance.

The chances are there are other balance related issues with any RTW coat you try on too.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
If you really want to avoid this problem then you need to go bespoke. Your tailor will crooken the balance of the coat with the neck point being placed a little more backwards on your pattern. You most like have a very erect stance.

The chances are there are other balance related issues with any RTW coat you try on too.
Not to be disputatious, but a decent MTM program shouldn't have a problem dealing with it either. I've had a similar issue most of my life with most RTW patterns, and MTM I've used typically were accustomed to this modification as it's common. In my youth, a decent retail tailor wasn't too bothered by the alteration either, but I fear the general level of skill is now much lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.