Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was curious if anyone could recommend a place to get good fitting casual long sleeve shirts. Shirts that go great with blue jeans. Preferably solid colored shirts. Cotton shirts or denim shirts.

Everything seems so baggy and loose fitting today. I was hoping to find a shirt that fits really well.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was curious if anyone could recommend a place to get good fitting casual long sleeve shirts. Shirts that go great with blue jeans. Preferably solid colored shirts. Cotton shirts or denim shirts.

Everything seems so baggy and loose fitting today. I was hoping to find a shirt that fits really well.

Thanks for the help,

Chris
I hear you. Being thin, I really hate the fit of current dress and sport shirts. Sloppy baggy shirts seem to be in vogue these days. Tailoring is really an unknown idea with today's society in general.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When it comes to a casual shirt to wear with blue jeans I don't think you can beat an oxford cloth shirt. Lands End carries the basic solid colors in a tailored fit OCBD. LE also has a collection of tailored fit solids, stripes, and checks in a buttondown pinpoint, but they are non-iron.

I was in Steinmart last night and saw some Izod button downs in a trim cut. This is the first time I've seen Izod shirts in a trim cut. As with the LE pinpoints, these were non-iron; however, they were all cotton.

There are other options if you raise the price point from the above mentioned shirts, but I'm assuming you were looking for relatively inexpensive shirts since you said casual jean shirts.

Cruiser

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hear you. Being thin, I really hate the fit of current dress and sport shirts. Sloppy baggy shirts seem to be in vogue these days. Tailoring is really an unknown idea with today's society in general.
I think another reason for this trend in baggy clothing is that Americans as a group are getting fatter by the second. 10 years ago I wore a Medium or Large in polo shirts. Now I wear a Small. Nothing has changed about me; in fact, I've probably gained 20 pounds since then. I can almost never find the size I need when shopping. Seeing racks and racks of XL and XXL shirts is the norm nowadays. And no wonder with fast food restaurants on every corner. It's hard to buy a hamburger that doesn't weigh 2 lbs, and their Mediums-sized drinks are big enough for Ted Kennedy to drive a Cadillac into. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
266 Posts
.... and their Mediums-sized drinks are big enough for Ted Kennedy to drive a Cadillac into....
A good'un there.

I've noticed the size creep as well. Men's clothes are getting to be just as bad as women's at that. I'm not super-skinny (6'0", 170 lbs, 41" chest and 34" waist), but it's getting to be almost impossible to find a shirt that fits me well. I tried on several at Norstrom Rack last week and found none that I was willing to buy. If it fits the shoulders, it'll have twice the necessary girth. I could probably fit someone else in there, which might not be a bad idea depending on who it is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A good'un there.

I've noticed the size creep as well. Men's clothes are getting to be just as bad as women's at that. I'm not super-skinny (6'0", 170 lbs, 41" chest and 34" waist), but it's getting to be almost impossible to find a shirt that fits me well. I tried on several at Norstrom Rack last week and found none that I was willing to buy. If it fits the shoulders, it'll have twice the necessary girth. I could probably fit someone else in there, which might not be a bad idea depending on who it is.
Those are almost exactly my proportions. I do seem to have somewhat longer arms than most people (~34.5). Buying shirts sized "small", "medium", "large" is almost impossible. I've seen nothing in about 3-4 years fits great (this never used to be a problem).

I've just resigned myself to taking everything to my tailor and having him take in the shirts. So now I buy based on the shoulders and with enough sleeve length so that the sleeves can be shortened to the proper length. This usually corresponds to a size Large.

Does anyone make sportshirts with exact sizes?

·
Registered
393 Posts
How about casual long sleeve shirts in long and slim sizes? I can wear a large if its a long but even finding a long is difficult.

I don't think its all due to americans being heavier. Try finding a sneaker in a narrow size, or any shoe for that manner. Retailers don't want carry anything in inventory that they can't turn over quickly.

So if anyone knows of sneakers that come in narrow widths, I'd like to hear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think its all due to americans being heavier. Try finding a sneaker in a narrow size, or any shoe for that manner. Retailers don't want carry anything in inventory that they can't turn over quickly.
It sounds like you are supporting what I said. If the minority of shoppers need shoes in a narrow size, there won't be that many narrow-width shoes in stores. The majority of shoes will be what fits the average person. So for clothing, if retailers are carrying what turns over quickly and fits the average person, and their stores are full of big clothing, what conclusion must one draw from this? The 'average' person must be on the heavier side.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It sounds like you are supporting what I said. If the minority of shoppers need shoes in a narrow size, there won't be that many narrow-width shoes in stores. The majority of shoes will be what fits the average person. So for clothing, if retailers are carrying what turns over quickly and fits the average person, and their stores are full of big clothing, what conclusion must one draw from this? The 'average' person must be on the heavier side.
Or it could be that you could sell a overlarge shirt that looks like a tent on a thin person but you couldn't sell a slim fit shirt that to a heavy person that can't even button it. Same with shoes, people won't buy shoes that pinch because they are a little too tight, but they'll buy shoes that are slightly too wide.

The thing is, consumers have been trained to accept clothes that don't fit right, if the price is low enough. Retailers don't want to carry more inventory than is needed because consumers won't pay the higher prices that that entails.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like Paul Fredrick shirts. They have a nice variety of dress shirts in trim fit sizes, many of which would look good with blue jeans. I also noticed in one of their most recent catalogs that they indicated many of their sport shirts are now offered in trim fit. They are a sponsor here. You can find nice deals on their closeout page, which makes a nice starter shirt to see how you like them. These aren't going to be a trendy slim fit/early Rod Stewart style, more of a mature/business tailored look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like Paul Fredrick shirts. They have a nice variety of dress shirts in trim fit sizes, many of which would look good with blue jeans. I also noticed in one of their most recent catalogs that they indicated many of their sport shirts are now offered in trim fit. They are a sponsor here. You can find nice deals on their closeout page, which makes a nice starter shirt to see how you like them. These aren't going to be a trendy slim fit/early Rod Stewart style, more of a mature/business tailored look.
I second this idea. PF shirts are generally very affordable, especially sale/closeout shirts. They offer many styles in a slimmer cut.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.