Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having met with my own tailor this week for a fitting to replace an item that he had made for me some years ago, I found this excerpt from a letter to The Times of some amusement.

...It was the same tailor who, when told that I would need suits altered having both aged and put on weight since they were made some years ago, replied: "I note you will be bringing in a number of suits which have shrunk a little. We'll see if we can find a cure - materials aren't what they once were. Not only do we improve with age we also mature physically."

Clearly someone whose sense of diplomacy is as well tailored as his suits.

Peter King

Filkins, Glos

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Preferring that my clients have the longevity to keep the remuneration steady until I join my dearly departed anscestors, I would be more inclined to suggest this:

Your physician might be better qualified to analyze the apparent shrinkage of your apparel and suggest a regime to prevent its recurrance.

Crass? Possibly. Caring? In select cases. Beneficial? Without question.

After all, the airlines' baggage handlers already provide sufficient windfall profits for bespoke makers so as to render a client's aspirations toward corpulence unnecessary.

·
6,643 Posts
Are you blameing or praiseing airlines baggage handlers?

You make it sound good both ways.
Aside from Departures and Town & Country, airline baggage losers have been the greatest source of unexpected orders spanning my entire career. I hold them in such high esteem that I should never want to overwork them by checking my luggage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Preferring that my clients have the longevity to keep the remuneration steady until I join my dearly departed anscestors, I would be more inclined to suggest this:

Your physician might be better qualified to analyze the apparent shrinkage of your apparel and suggest a regime to prevent its recurrance.

Crass? Possibly. Caring? In select cases. Beneficial? Without question.
This does come off a bit too circumlocutory and rude. At this point, you might as well speak plainly and directly to your client about his health, if you're truly concerned about it and have a good friendly relationship with him or her. Otherwise, I'd prefer the more gentlemanly way mentioned in the first post. Professional, caring, without being passive aggressive.

·
6,643 Posts
This does come off a bit too circumlocutory and rude. At this point, you might as well speak plainly and directly to your client about his health, if you're truly concerned about it and have a good friendly relationship with him or her. Otherwise, I'd prefer the more gentlemanly way mentioned in the first post. Professional, caring, without being passive aggressive.
Oh, I most heartily agree. It is only here, not with my clients, that I am circumspect and politically correct. At least I've learned something from too many years of forum interaction. ;)

·
6,643 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.