Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may not be the right forum but exercise is exercise and im trying to keep in shape - the pool at my gym is 20 meters long and i've started swimming laps, i can only go about 20 minutes or so - im surprised how hard swimming laps is. i swim freestyle but would like to learn other styles. anyway i'm wondering how much time is a good amount to actually make this worthwhile?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
One hour is a good amount of swim time. I lost about 15 pounds last summer swimming. I joined a club and got there at 5am each weekday and spent an hour in the pool. I would swim 20 minutes of freestyle at a moderate speed, then 20 minutes of breast stroke at moderate speed, and finished with 10 minutes of each going as fast as I could. Man was I hungry all day. My hair also got so dry it would fall out in the shower. There really is no better way to exercise though, very easy on your joints.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any time spent in the pool is better than no time in the pool.

Swim when you can and as long as you can. If you can only do 20 minutes now then do 20 minutes, or try jumping out of the pool and taking a break then going in for more.

Try getting a set of fins, they are a fun way to shake things up when swimming laps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I concur with the recommendation on fins.

As for length of time, you'll find it easier as you do it more. Spend some focus on technique as well, that will make it easier.

And to keep this thread in line with the forum, I too had chlorine problems. Kiehls and Molton Brown both offer liquid soaps that help combat the effects of chlorine. I liked Molton Brown's Cool Mentha, but I think it may have been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
swimming

My friend
I agree, the swimming will make you strong. It is recommended to do at least 3/4 times a week cardio.For 45-60 minutes
It will make you strong for other things, running and cycling.
I know if you shoot for just a 10 minute mile running, in an hour. This on average will burn around 400 calories. Roughly.10 minute mile is very, very slow. Time will make you strong.
Your goal is to shoot at eating roughly 1800 calories a day. To lose weight. Roughly.
Running was my old sport. Had to give up because of injuries in military. Broken hip was one problem. Got a new one!
Took up cycling. Which, is a great thing to do as well.
With all of these sports. You want to shoot for at least 140 beats per minute. This is roughly what is called fat burning at most gyms. Roughly.Do not waste your time, taking your pulse
The bare minimum, for a decent exercise is 120. Roughly.
The max, is 160plus. I do not recommend. Long term, when in shape. You will be able to strengthen your heart.
I recommend what is recommended. 45 minutes to an hour 4 times a week. Till you get strong. Do sprints for 2/3 laps as you get strong. Venture out to cycling, running. Which I enjoy immensely.
This is not that difficult my friend Join a gym, which can be fun. A Y is great.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I know if you shoot for just a 10 minute mile running, in an hour. This on average will burn around 400 calories. Roughly.10 minute mile is very, very slow.
A ten minute mile is very slow if you're running - I don't run, but my natural walking pace is a fifteen minute mile, which is very fast.

The treadmills at my gym have a setting where you can enter your weight and the speed and incline change frequently. The personal trainer said that the idea is to prevent your body from finding the most efficient way to burn calories.

I don't know if that works, but I do know that the calculator on the treadmill says I burn about 600 calories an hour at a fifteen-minute mile.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
10 minute mile

Mike

I agree, very slow. It is a rough estimate for a man starting. I do know, that a 10 minute mile will put him in anerobic, not aerobic.
Such a a sub 4 minute mile!
Again, just rough estimates, he may decide to do an 8/9 or 7 minute mile.
Anyway, nice day my friend

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's always good to start with some lanes to warm up (probably breast stroke) and do the the crawl for some lanes. Learning other styles is a good goal but rather difficult. I've been doing the crawl for quite some time now and I only tried it once to learn butterfly. It's a whole different concept of movement.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I started swimming laps when I was 36 and decided to work my way up to 36 laps a day on the (I think) 25 meter pool. I intended to increase the lap by 1 with every birthday. That worked fine until I was about 45 and the time got to be too much.

I now swim at the Y pool and they say its 33 laps to the mile so I swim 33 laps. I just get in and swim the whole thing freestyle without stop. It takes about 35 minutes swimming at a comfortable pace. Unfortunately the pool's hours don't coincide with my free time so I don't get to swim as often as I'd like, but when I do thats how I do it.

I don't think that there is a better exercise than swimming. Keep it up, gradually increasing the length. It's something you can continue to do no matter how old you get.

Can't help with the hair thing, I don't have enough to notice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you can swim a mile in under 30 minutes you are doing good.

I've read that 1 mile in the pool equals 4 miles running at 8-10min pace.

https://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/crosstraining.cfm

A mile in a 25 meter pool is 66 lengths (33 laps), a 25 yard pool is 72 lengths.

Also flip turns are your friend. They're not hard to learn. If you can do a somersault you can do a flip turn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.