Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Las Vegas and have accepted a job in which I'll be traveling quite a bit. Mostly to cooler climates!

What type of sweater can I wear with just a shirt/tie. no jacket.

Links would be great!

Also I seem to have trouble with pants! I wear a 38 waist however I can't seem to get the right fit around my butt! I usually get flat front pants but I've noticed that a lot of the "better" suits come with pleated pants. Pleats never look good on me as the pleats always pull!

Help a newbie out!!

Matt

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
A nice v-neck or half zip cardigan should work well. Layered with a blazer/sport coat looks quite sharp I think.

·
Registered
302 Posts
+1 on the v-neck sweaters.

Opposite of the way that pinstripes and shadow stripes give an illusion of additional height, pleats give the appearance of increased width-- and if the pleats are always unfolding from pulling, it just looks off (which it is). Gentleman with more size should be advised to avoid pleats if possible, just as shorter men should try to avoid cuffs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also I seem to have trouble with pants! I wear a 38 waist however I can't seem to get the right fit around my butt! I usually get flat front pants but I've noticed that a lot of the "better" suits come with pleated pants. Pleats never look good on me as the pleats always pull!
Matt
Try vintage, if you can find it. Also single pleated forward pants might work. I also have a prominent rear and muscular legs to match. To me it isn't the pleats I'm worried about it is the circumference of the thighs. On most flat front pants the thighs are too slim. I usually go up 2 inches and take the waist in. With single pleats I usually don't have that issue.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I like cardigans - the ones with buttons - with a shirt and tie.

Someone is sure to say that a cardigan will make you look older. I don't know why that would be - with that logic there should be some garments that would make me look younger and I very much doubt such a thing exists.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I like cardigans - the ones with buttons - with a shirt and tie.

Someone is sure to say that a cardigan will make you look older. I don't know why that would be - with that logic there should be some garments that would make me look younger and I very much doubt such a thing exists.

Cheers, Jim.
People associate cardigans with old, stooped-over men, who go to lunch every day at a cafeteria because they're likely to find a broad selection of foods soft enough for them to eat with their dentures. Or without. But cardigans aren't designed for old, stooped-over men, so on them they look baggy and dumpy.

But put these chaps in a Coldplay t-shirt and torn jeans, then give them six months to learn how to use an iPod, and boy howdy they'll be "young" looking...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try vintage, if you can find it. Also single pleated forward pants might work. I also have a prominent rear and muscular legs to match. To me it isn't the pleats I'm worried about it is the circumference of the thighs. On most flat front pants the thighs are too slim. I usually go up 2 inches and take the waist in. With single pleats I usually don't have that issue.
Same Problem with me!!

Cyclist?

·
Site Creator
11,754 Posts
TheRoadWarrior:

A v-neck or even crew neck sweater will work, but the v-neck will show the tie better. It's a step down from business dress.

If you go for a cardigan sweater try one with a zipper for a more modern look.

Review the article linked from the Home Page on Cracking the Dress Code!

Pleats in trousers are traditional (the flat front look is trendy. Pleats are actually practical, they automatically widen at the hips when you sit giving you more room when you need it.

Pleats also let you put more stuff in your front pockets including your hands without disturbing the drape. If you're wearing the right size pants, pleats are actually slimming.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Would that be considered business dress?
It's on the casual side of business dress and certainly is not the equivalent of wearing a sportcoat/blazer/suit. Still, that sort of attire passed for business dress 9 years ago when manhattan law firms required everyone to be in business dress (effectively that meant a tie, though not necessarily a jacket, for lower level employees, etc.). If you're not sure whether your employer's business dress requirements (or the expectations of your clients) require a jacket, I'd ask somebody, or err on the side of being too formal (i.e. wearing the jacket) until you know differently.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Well, the reason your pleats are opening up are because the pants are probably too small.

From the sound of it you need pleats if flat fronts are fitting right over your butt. Try the next size (or half-size up).

Most dressier sweaters will work in your quest. Cotton, wool, cashmere, silk. They can all work. I normally wear v-necks; however, I do like the look of a crewneck with just the top of the tie showing.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I am a real fan of sweaters (crew necks, V-necks and cardigans) and wear them frequently, this time of year. However, they may not be a proper substitute for business casual wear. A sweater, even with a shirt and tie, is still pretty casual and can possibly create a collegiate image, rather than that of a businessman. You could wear a sweater vest or v-neck under a sport coat! Good luck with the new job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.