Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when you're wearing a sweater it becomes too warm and you tempoarily need to take it off, for example during the course of a brisk walk.

Way back in the 60's it used to be the fashion to carry your (usually shetland crew neck) sweater over your shoulders, with the sleeves loosely knotted. A later fashion was to wear it tied around your waist. Today you don't seem to see people doing either.

Anyone else noticed this and what is the forum's view on the best way to carry a sweater when not actually wearing it?

· Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd wear it over the shoulders. As long as I'm not wearing a polo with the collar turned up.

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I would not do anything except carry it in one hand. To me, tying it around your waist or over your shoulders makes it look like you are trying to make some teen-aged fashion statement. Just wear the sweater until you can leave it in your car or someplace, I guess.

· Registered
2,730 Posts
Sometimes when you're wearing a sweater it becomes too warm and you tempoarily need to take it off, for example during the course of a brisk walk.

Way back in the 60's it used to be the fashion to carry your (usually shetland crew neck) sweater over your shoulders, with the sleeves loosely knotted. A later fashion was to wear it tied around your waist. Today you don't seem to see people doing either.

Anyone else noticed this and what is the forum's view on the best way to carry a sweater when not actually wearing it?
Depends on the frame of your body. If you're carrying a spare tire around the waist, it's best to wear it around the neck.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
SHOULDER

Draping it nonchalantly over the shoulder looks far less intentional than draping it over the shoulders or tying it round the waist.
But worrying about how you might look to others from making any of these choices is just silly.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
I very rarely feel the need to take a jumper off when I'm outdoors. If it's that type of weather I usually just wear a jacket on top of my shirt.
However, on the odd occasion that I do need to take it off I either carry it in my hand or put it in my rucksack.

May I suggest the reason you don't often see the shoulders/waist thng anymore is because it looks completely ridiculous, in other words, fashion on this issue at least, has matured!

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Draping it nonchalantly over the shoulder looks far less intentional than draping it over the shoulders or tying it round the waist.
But worrying about how you might look to others from making any of these choices is just silly.
This answer is the most sensible!! We need to think about our clothing, but many in these forums overthink it.

· Registered
861 Posts
Over the shoulder is fine, just talk with an accent and people will think you're from the EU :)

-spence
I know this was tongue-in-cheek but it is a serious point.

Sometimes your behaviour can be influenced (I won't say dictated) by where you are. First, I should say I would rather feel uncomfortably warm than actually remove any piece of knitwear when out. However, picture this if you will. Early evening in autumn on the Med. The afternoon temperature was 28 degrees c but the evening will become quite a bit cooler. Too cool for just a shirt and too warm to actually wear a sweater.... unless you drape it - in not too studied a way over your shoulder. You can probably tell I've just returned from Spain where this approach still seemed to be in favour and where I did participate!

Never round the waist tho'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.