Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fair amount of sweaters, mostly cashmere or merino. I'm fortunate to have a washer that has a steam fresh cycle I use rather than dry cleaning ( works great on suits, also). However, I'm wondering- what's the best way to store sweaters in current rotation: on hangers or folded? During the summer I fold with tissue paper and store in perforated storage bins with cedar blocks.
Also, what is the preferred method for removing lint from sweaters? The adhesive rollers seem to remove an excess of fibers. Short of picking the lint off by hand like a chimpanzee, is there a less destructive method?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I always fold my sweaters and any other knits - hanging pulls and stretches the shoulders out of whack.

Try using a soft clothes brush. I have a two sided Kent brush I got from Kent's ebay store. It has a firm bristle side for worsteds and other 'harder' fabrics and a soft side for (you guessed it) 'softer' fabrics. I have had good luck with it on my sweaters (merino wool, shetland wool, cotton/cashmere blends).

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have a multitude of cashmere sweaters and a few marino.....

First of all, I store them in zippered sweater bags. I always keep a few moth preventive packets (2 to 3 packets) in the bags. These packets come in a variety scents so no mothball odor is ever apparent. Cedar blocks don't work too well unless you take the time to sand them frequently.

I wash my sweaters in cold water with a cold water detergent such as woolite. I turn the sweaters inside out prior to washing. Next, I put them in the dryer on the no heat, air only setting for one cycle. Then I dry them stretched and flat. After dryning, I iron the sweaters on continuous steam(T-Fal iron). This compresses the fibers back into their original textures.

As far as lint, I have never had lint on a sweater. I suspect you are washing or steaming
them with some kind of cotton with which they shouldn't be mixed. I would look for how the lint is getting on a woolen or cashmere sweater. Somehow you are mixing your sweaters with cotton material.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.