Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,152 Posts
An industry obviously admired on this forum limits petition signing to british subjects.
As I read this, CNN covered the Queen's speech and the MPs and all the tradition involved.
Looking at how some dressed, it's to late.

· Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If, say the cloth was from Scotland and the buttons from somewhere else (not England) but the garment was made in England, would that under this proposal not be labelled "Made in England"?
Yes as long as it's made here, at the moment a garment could be finished here and it can be labeled "Made in England" even if the finishing is only adding the label.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
You can't prevent something like this, because it isn't legislated for.​

Cars, electrical goods, medicine, food, toys, yes. But not clothing and not shoes. My Loake Oxfords say "Made in England" but were they?​

And a strong argument from designers and makers could be that "I put a 'Made in England' label on as part of the design, as part of my fashion
statement"​

And that is a good argument. I've seen both Converse and New Balance advertised as American trainers!!!!! Made in......?
Exactly!​

I've got Fred Perry tennis shirts with a 'Made in England' label on the collar but then when you look at the washing label on the seam at the bottom of the shirt, it says on some 'Made in Hong Kong' and on others 'Made in Portugal'.

At the end of the day: caveat emptor!​

· Registered
2,163 Posts
Agreed, unfortunately

You can't prevent something like this, because it isn't legislated for.​

Cars, electrical goods, medicine, food, toys, yes. But not clothing and not shoes. My Loake Oxfords say "Made in England" but were they?​

And a strong argument from designers and makers could be that "I put a 'Made in England' label on as part of the design, as part of my fashion
statement"​

And that is a good argument. I've seen both Converse and New Balance advertised as American trainers!!!!! Made in......?
Exactly!​

I've got Fred Perry tennis shirts with a 'Made in England' label on the collar but then when you look at the washing label on the seam at the bottom of the shirt, it says on some 'Made in Hong Kong' and on others 'Made in Portugal'.

At the end of the day: caveat emptor!​

· Vendor
1,739 Posts
Good point about the creativity in naming. A company, which is no longer in business, imported sweaters to the USA and was named "Deans of Scotland". All their sweaters were made in Hong Kong. They were properly labeled "Made in Hong Kong" on the care label. The prominent neck label was "Deans of Scotland". That is marketing. What can you say that is not a false statement but that will cause many to think something that is not the case.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.