Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since summer is over, I feel I can get the best "deal" on a pair of sunglasses, but not exactly sure what type of glasses I should buy for my body type. I am 5'9 around 190, a little stocky, so I don't want anything to make my face look fat, but of course I would like a contemporary look, any suggestions?

Also, who has the best sales right now?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Well, personally I think Oakleys fit my face the best, but they aren't for anyone, and I don't prefer most of their styles. I would suggest visiting a sunglass store, or an eye glass store that has a large selection of sunglasses. Personally it would be hard to recommend one brand or another for pure aesthetics as they all have different models with different fits and I'm sure you could find something in many brands. I would recommend going with polarized though as those are spectacular lenses. Also, make sure its a quality brand like Oakley, Persol, or RayBan so you know your getting a quality pair for your money.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I have a big head and a broad, fat, red face, and most sunglasses look ridiculous on me, but not the Ray-Ban Clubmasters. Just picked up a new pair on eBay for $90 shipped. Lots of them out there. Classic prepster/hipster look, and I'm a classic prepster/hipster, so there.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Check out american optical - they make a killer WW2-like aviator sunglasses called 'Original Pilot'.

There are 3 kinds of 'temple' types (the part that connects glasses to the ears): spatula, wire frame and comfort cable. Spatula is the one you see on most sunglasses - I personally prefer the wire frame since they are very much secure.

I own a pair of these (with the wire frame) and they are awesome ... for reference I am 5'10" though I am quite thin.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I love my pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers, and my body type is similar to yours.

While I don't think they were in existence yet, the former Senator from Massachusetts seems to be wearing Wayfarer IIs, which are larger frames more suitable for people with shallow or low cheekbones.

For the original Wayfarer proportions, see the poster for the Tom Cruise Movie Risky Business.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you want sun glasses that look good on you, the you need to find a good local optician and be prepared to spend some money. While the good ones, no how fit frames and cut lenses for the blind bats like me, they also should know what looks good on your face. Everyone is different, so most comments here won't help much.

As an aside, I liquidated an eyewear distributer in the last economic down turn and learned a thing or two. There is a whole category called "Sun" in retail sales and suppliers never pay more than a buck or two for frames and lenses and so forth. Two bucks wholesale is high end. So, the fashion junk you find anywhere but a good, non-chain optician will indeed be junk. Frames that retail for $100 to $300 rarely wholesale for more than $20.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Former President of the United States?

They make two sizes now, and I believe I own the lower cheekbone pair.
It was an obscure reference to Judith Martin, who writes the "Miss Manners" etiquette column for the Washington Post.

She is of the opinion that there is only one person at a time who should be addressed as "Mr. President" or "Mr. Vice President." Former Presidents are acknowledged by whatever their highest title is that they share with others, whether it is "Senator," "Governor," "General," or, in the case of Gerald Ford, "Congressman."

On the original topic, the larger Wayfarers are supposed to be more in fashion right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.