Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes, one more week and Summer is officially over! I still have a lot of Summertime clothes in my closet I haven't worn, maybe next year. I am looking forward to Fall though.

Brian

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yikes, one more week and Summer is officially over! I still have a lot of Summertime clothes in my closet I haven't worn, maybe next year. I am looking forward to Fall though.

Brian
I am under the impression that the Autumn equinox is on 21st/22nd September therefore Fall doesn't truly begin until then - so a few more weeks to wear those summer clothes!

Like many on this forum I actually look forward to cooler weather when I can wear moleskins, cords and lambswool.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am under the impression that the Autumn equinox is on 21st/22nd September therefore Fall doesn't truly begin until then - so a few more weeks to wear those summer clothes!

Like many on this forum I actually look forward to cooler weather when I can wear moleskins, cords and lambswool.
Why is that do you think? I always feel that I do better with putting together my fall wardobe than I do my summer and spring one.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in the US, a lot of people stop wearing their Summer clothes after Labor Day which this year is Mon Sept 1st. Some items I'll continue to wear into Sept and cycle them out of my closet, but I've already packed some of it away.

Brian

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad for fall, honestly. I know it'll come sweeping in, 3-4 weeks of pure enjoyment when you can wear tweed (but not an overcoat) when you go outside. It'll be bliss. It'll be time for shetland sweaters. And it'll be over by Thanksgiving. At least in WI.
If we're lucky we get 3-4 good weeks of Fall and then...full on Winter, ugh. I'm most looking forward to wearing my Beaufort again, to me that's one of the smells of Fall.

Brian

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't wear my sailcloth pants, or my patch madras shirt enough, but I did wear them to effect.

I can't wait to get the tan herringbone, navy herringbone, and grey and maroon plaidish wools I ordered from Bills.

will go good with the $9 JM Tassles I just got!

Although, unlike most of you, I will be wearing shorts on Halloween in all likelihood down here in Bama.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Why is that do you think? I always feel that I do better with putting together my fall wardobe than I do my summer and spring one.
I don't know the answer for you - maybe your colouring suits your fall wardrobe. However many of us, and I guess you too, just like the materials of the fall wardrobe better - the colours are more sumptuous and the fabrics much more textured and tactile. There's also that feeling of coziness you get with fall/winter clothes.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Here in the US, a lot of people stop wearing their Summer clothes after Labor Day which this year is Mon Sept 1st. Some items I'll continue to wear into Sept and cycle them out of my closet, but I've already packed some of it away.

Brian
Thanks for this info - it is always really interesting to learn how other cultures do things.

Here in England I always find that September is still too warm ( OK not that warm!!) to wear Autumn or Fall clothes - I've made this mistake once too often and now I am determined not to change my wardrobe over until the end of September or beginning of October. On cooler days I find a cotton sweater comes in very handy.

Does this change to Fall clothes depend on wear you live in the States?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for this info - it is always really interesting to learn how other cultures do things.

Here in England I always find that September is still too warm ( OK not that warm!!) to wear Autumn or Fall clothes - I've made this mistake once too often and now I am determined not to change my wardrobe over until the end of September or beginning of October. On cooler days I find a cotton sweater comes in very handy.

Very much so. I don't think it has much to do with certain calendar dates anymore, but rather when the weather changes. Living in the north, I can just about bank on colder weather starting in September and very likely the first snow of the season in October.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Looking across my front yard, the first rays of the morning sun are showing leaves, already on the ground and several trees, with leaves just beginning to turn color. Yesterday, hoping to take advantage of one of the last days of summer and get a bit more enjoyment from the seersucker, I sported the SS attending Church. Noting the hint of a nip in the air and that I was the only one in church, wearing seersucker, I admit I felt a bit of a fool, but a happy fool, none-the-less! Now, as for the tweeds...! :)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Around here (Northern US) the first part of Sept can still be Summerish and the last few weeks get cooler. We've already had some nights get down close to freezing & I've had to wear a light jacket to work in the morning. Sometimes we'll get an Indian Summer the first part of Oct and you won't catch me wearing tweeds then ;)

Brian

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
In N.E. coastal Massachusetts, we've already had some cool nights, but I guarantee we'll have some 80s and 90s in September.

Once Labor Day goes past, I do not wear my brighter colored summer stuff (patch madras, reds, seersucker). However, I don't do the fall wardrobe changeover until October. Then I look forward to getting out my tweeds, sweaters and heavier pants and shoes.

Today is the first day I've worn my Alden for BB plain toe bluchers since late spring. I do not wear my "big and heavy" shoes (specifically the PTB and the shell longwing) all summer and stick to my cape cod and other lightweight loafers and quoddy mocs. Even though they are heavier, I do wear my 986s all year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.