Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ps. Long time lurker, first time joiner....

I'm a university law student who is going to be working in a job this summer where I will spend a fair amount of time in court. I have the obligatory dark wool suits I've been wearing to court appearances all winter, but I'm curious if it would be appropriate to make my summer wardrobe more 'summery.' I was considering picking up a light weight Khaki Cotton, or grey Linen suit.
Do you think that in summer the months such things are acceptable in a courtroom, or should I play it safe and stick to navy and dark grey wools?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If you want to stick to the conservative look, you can go for a wool suit in a light cloth.
Other options:
- cotton suit or something with wool and cotton.
- linen but you can get a mixture of cotton and linen or wool, silk and linen.
- 100% linen

Then you have the colour options, you could go conservative and get a light grey suit or colours like tan, khaki, beige, etc.

As you are in the courtroom, my suggestion would be a conservative suit in light wool cloth (8 or 9oz) in light grey shade.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would also take your cues from those above you in an environment like a law firm.
I have no idea what proper dress is in Canadian courts. Thus, the answer quoted above is the best advice I can give too.

It's not clear to me if you're working for a law firm, or the court/judge, etc. In any event, in addition to asking now, you can probably wear your winter suits for the first week while you look around and see what else might be appropriate.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You are not working in a fashion show. It is not in your best interest to try setting dress standards on your own, even with learned opinions from a fashion blog, in a court of law. Besides, if there is air conditioning in the place, a "winter suit" might be better anyway, since it may be that the judges will have the temperature set to "meat locker" in order to be prevented from falling asleep during the mostly boring "progress" of trial:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The office is very young, and the style of dress varies from excellent to 'dear god who put that sack on you.' Sadly the local legal scene has equal varying in dress, making it difficult to gauge attire from others. However, I do enjoy being well dressed and would like to find something seasonal, fashionable, and functional. I like the look of linen in the summer, but I'm concerned that its tendency to wrinkle badly will result in a suit that I'm unable to keep presentable. Thinking perhaps light weight summer wool is the way to go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You are not working in a fashion show.
+1 In your position, I'd start off by lightening the suits to medium-to-light greys and bring in some more "summer-y" (but still somewhat conservative) ties. If you start seeing the big guns wearing khaki or linen suits then you can let your hair down a little more, but I would urge caution and small steps at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.